News:

Dedicated to the memory of Nick Pellier (1958-2016)

Main Menu

Mount George

Started by admin, February 18, 2022, 09:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

3265 departing Mount George during the Centenary Of Rail to Taree event, May 2013 (Jarrod Mitton)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

4473 6296 Mt George 16/01/1984
(image by Brad Coulter)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Up approach track to Mount George.
13-09-2024 (Greg Riddel)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Site of former railway employees residence on the other side of 17-4 signal with cable marker in the foreground.
13-09-3024 (Greg Riddel)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Old Duncan's Mill at 341.100 km no 17-3 signal can be seen in front of the Ford Louisville tipper.
18-09-2024

(Greg Riddel)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

4 span truss Bridge over the Manning River on the Southern side of Mount George.
16-09-2024 (Greg Riddel)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

View from cab of NT-36 in the Loop at Mt.George (11-43/46am) as a Down "Pacific National" freight restarts its journey after crossing the XPT. Saturday, 18-8-2007. (Graeme Kirkby)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Viewed from cab of NT-36, XPT service, points set for the Loop at Mt.George, as a Down "Pacific National" freight waits on main line. Saturday, 18-8-2007. (GRaeme Kirkby)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

View from the cab of NT-36, Up "Grafton XPT" service, at the Home signal for Mt.George with Shunting signal cleared for the Loop to cross an over-length "Pacific National" freight standing on the Main. Saturday, 18-8-2007. (Graeme Kirkby)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Mt George Station 1982 not long before it closed. (Pete Miller)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

An internal view of a signal box opened in 1913. Probably little had changed except for the detectors on the floorplates. The diagram and lever name plates were typical of those before changes were made by Byles. The interlocking machine was a Type A Contract design manufactured by Thornley & Sons although there was no maker's identification. RT Taaffe
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

This photograph shows the slightly untidy connection between the signal box and the station building. The head in the doorway belongs to Dr Stuart Sharp.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Mount George (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1985

---

**Type:** Station (Closed) / Crossing Loop (804 metres — in use) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Bundook–Mount George / Mount George–Kimbriki sections) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 342.116 km 
**Location:** -31.886019, 152.185079 
**Between:** Bundook and Kimbriki 
**Construction name:** Black Flat 
**Opened:** 5 February 1913 (Dungog–Taree line opening) 
**Stockyards erected:** 7 February 1914 (W.N. — 1914) 
**Station closed:** Prior to 23 October 1985 
**Station demolished and platform reduced to 25 metres:** 23 October 1985 
**Status:** In use (804-metre crossing loop) 
**Name meaning:** Construction name was Black Flat; the town is called George Town; no mountain of the name exists nearby 
**Station Brand:** MGE (1913) 
**Platform:** 76.2-metre Up side; timber building with ladies and general waiting rooms and store; goods shed; 5-tonne yard crane 
**ETS sections (1917):** Gloucester–Mount George (Automatic ETS, Red); Mount George–Wingham (Automatic ETS, Blue) 
**ETS sections (1942 onwards):** Bundook–Mount George (Type C, 1–8 Key, 9–50 Ordinary); Mount George–Kimbriki 
**Crane deleted:** 1978 — 5-tonne crane deleted from accommodation table (W.N. 50–1978) 
**Freight shed deleted:** 1978 — 11 × 5 dimensions deleted (W.N. 50–1978) 
**Hours of attendance (1975):** 12.1 a.m. to 7.0 a.m.; **9.0 p.m. to midnight** (note: earlier evening opening than adjacent stations which opened at 11.0 p.m.) 
**CTC location:** No. 17 (from 1985 CTC tables) 
**Circular:** No. 101 (referenced in 1985 goods siding departure instruction) 
**Staff Exchanger (1946):** Down Line — Opposite Signal-box; Up Line — listed in table (see note) 

---

> **Notes:** Mount George opened 5 February 1913 as a staffed station — Station Masters at West Maitland, Paterson, Dungog, Gloucester, **Mt. George** and Taree listed as officers in charge from opening. Stockyards erected 7 February 1914. Ticket collectors posted at Mount George for special trains from Newcastle (1913 and 1914 entries — D41 Special). On 13 March 1917 Gloucester–Mount George Automatic ETS was installed (Red staffs); on 14 March 1917 Mount George–Wingham Automatic ETS (Blue staffs). From 29 July 1942 the relevant ETS sections became Bundook–Mount George (Type C) and Mount George–Kimbriki. Staff exchanger positions (1946): Down Line — Opposite Signal-box; Up Line reference in the 1946 table (see Kimbriki entry — "8.5 feet on Sydney side of Signal-box" appears to be Kimbriki, not Mt George).
>
> Hours of attendance (1975): 12.1 a.m. to 7.0 a.m.; 9.0 p.m. to midnight — the 9.0 p.m. start is earlier than the 11.0 p.m. at Bundook, Kimbriki and Killawarra, indicating Mount George had a longer evening opening window, possibly due to an additional service calling at this time.
>
> The 5-tonne crane and freight shed (11 × 5) were deleted from the accommodation table in W.N. 50–1978 — the crane was still in the table at 342.116 km as late as 1978. Motor-operated points and colour light signals installed **7 June 1982** alongside Bundook — same day, same notice. ETS Bundook–Mount George and Mount George–Kimbriki retained; automatic staff exchangers remain. CTC location No. 17 confirmed in 1985. The 1985 goods siding instruction added: trains permitted to depart from either end of the Goods Siding directly onto the Main line on authority of Starting Signal (Regulation 23, Circular No. 101). Station demolished and platform reduced to 25 metres on 23 October 1985.

---

## 1913 — Opened; Station Masters Listed; Ticket Collectors; Station Brand MGE; Green Disc

### Officers in Charge at Mount George — 1913
> Station Masters at West Maitland, Paterson, Dungog, Gloucester, **Mt. George** and Taree are to provide written statements showing the traffic on the D41 Special. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Station Brand — MGE — 1913
> **Mount George — MGE** — station distinguishing brand allotted. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Ticket Collectors at Mount George — 1913
> Tickets of passengers in **D41** to be collected at Mt. George. Station Master, Newcastle, to provide two Ticket Collectors. Tickets of passengers from Charity Creek, Karaak Flat and Killawarra to be collected as they join the train. District Superintendent, Newcastle, to provide a Booking Clerk to travel by D41 Special to issue tickets to passengers joining at platforms between West Maitland and Wingham. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1914 — Stockyards Erected — 7 February 1914; Ticket Collectors Continued

### Stockyards Erected — 1914
> **Mount George** — Stockyards erected **7 February 1914**. *(Source: your notes)*

### Ticket Collectors — 1914
> Tickets of passengers in D41 to be collected at Mt. George. Station Master, Newcastle, to provide two Ticket Collectors. Tickets of passengers from Charity Creek, Karaak Flat and Killawarra to be collected as they join the train. Nos. 1 and 5 between Newcastle and Taree to have loads equal to 220 tons — "P" class engines. *(Source: 1914 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1917 — ETS Working Installed — Gloucester–Mount George and Mount George–Wingham

### ETS Working Installed — March 1917
> - **Gloucester–Mount George**: **Automatic** ETS — Tuesday, 13 March 1917; Staffs Nos. 1–4 Key, 5–20 Ordinary; colour **Red**
> - **Mount George–Wingham**: **Automatic** ETS — Wednesday, 14 March 1917; colour **Blue**

*(Source: 1917 Weekly Notices — ETS installation notices)*

---

## 1920 — Station Master on Duty for Special

### Station Master on Duty — 1920
> Station Master, **Mount George**, to remain on duty for E42 Special. *(Source: 1920 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1924 — Listed in Station Sequence; Officers in Charge

### Officers in Charge — 1924
> **Mt. George** — Officers in charge listed. Station in section Gloucester–Mount George and Mount George–Wingham. *(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1935 — Signal-box Listed; Station Master Named

### Station Master and Signal-box — 1935
> **Mount George** — Station Master: E.S. Caffrey. **Mount George Signal-box** listed in selector telephone circuit. Mt. George Station and Residence listed in accommodation tables. *(Source: 1935 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1942 — ETS Sections Revised — Bundook–Mount George and Mount George–Kimbriki

### ETS Sections from 29 July 1942
> From 29 July 1942 (when Bundook opened as crossing station): **Bundook–Mount George** (Type C, Staffs 1–8 Key, 9–50 Ordinary) and **Mount George–Kimbriki** (existing section retained). *(Source: 1942 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1946 — Staff Exchanger Positions; ETS Reference

### Staff Exchanger Positions — 1946
> **Down Line — Mt. George**: **Opposite Signal-box**. 
> **Up Line — Mt. George**: 70 feet from Grafton end of Platform. *(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices — from sequence: Bulliac→Bundook→Mt. George→Kimbriki→Killawarra→Wingham)*

### ETS Section Referenced — 1946
> **Mt. George–Kimbriki** — listed in ETS instrument maintenance allocations. *(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1960 — Key Staffs Replaced by Ordinary Staffs on Mt. George–Kimbriki

### Key Staffs Replaced — W.N. — 1960
> The Key Staffs on the section **Mount George–Kimbriki** will be replaced with Ordinary Staffs. *(Source: 1960 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1975 — Hours of Attendance; Town-to-Station Table

### Hours of Attendance — 1975
> **Mt. George** — **12.1 a.m. to 7.0 a.m.; 9.0 p.m. to 12 midnight**. *(Source: 1975 Weekly Notices — page 288)*

> **Note:** Mount George's evening opening time of 9.0 p.m. is earlier than the adjacent stations of Bundook (11.0 p.m.) and Kimbriki (11.0 p.m.), indicating a longer night-time operational window at Mount George.

### Town-to-Station Table — 1975
> **Doon Ayre — Mount George** inserted in town-to-station table. *(Source: 1975 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1978 — Crane and Freight Shed Deleted from Accommodation Table

### Crane and Freight Shed Deleted — W.N. 50–1978
> **342.116 km Mount George** — Under heading "Cranes" — Delete: **1–5** [5-tonne crane]. 
> Under heading "Freight Shed Dimensions" — Delete: **11 × 5**. *(W.N. 50–1978)*

---

## 1982 — Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — 7 June 1982

### Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — W.N. — 1982
> **Mount George (North Coast) — Conversion to Power Operation of Points and Signals** — On **Monday, 7th June, 1982** (same day as Bundook — both converted together), the Main line to loop points at each end of Mount George crossing loop will be converted to motor operation and the mechanical Main line and loop signals replaced by **colour light signals**.
>
> **Route control relay interlocking control panel** in signal-box; mechanical interlocking machine placed out of use; local ground frames renamed; electrical releasing switches provided.
>
> **Low speed indication** (small green light) and **shunting signal** (yellow light), with route indicator applicable to both, cleared by approaching train — beneath Down Home and Up Home signals.
>
> Electric Train Staff working remains in use on sections **Bundook–Mount George** and **Mount George–Kimbriki**; automatic staff exchanging equipment at Mount George remains available.
>
> **Telephone Call Indicators** — flashing blue light and sounding of a hooter near Starting signals at each end. *(W.N. — 1982)*

---

## 1985 — CTC Location No. 17; Goods Siding Departure Instructions; Station Demolished 23 October 1985

### CTC Location No. 17 — 1985
> **Mount George "17"** — CTC location table. *(Source: 1985 Weekly Notices)*

### Goods Siding Departure Instructions — 1985
> **Stations and Sidings — Mount George "17"** — Add: Trains are permitted to depart from **either end of the Goods Siding** directly onto the Main line, on the authority of the Starting Signal being cleared, in accordance with Regulation 23, **Circular No. 101**. In the event of both the Goods Siding and the Loop being occupied at the one time, the engineman of each train must be instructed by the signalman and/or guard performing the shunting operations as to the particular train to which clearance of the Starting Signal will apply. *(Source: 1985 Weekly Notices)*

### Station Demolished — 23 October 1985
> **Station at Mount George demolished and platform reduced to 25 metres — 23 October 1985.** *(Source: your notes)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **5 February 1913** | **Opened** — 76.2-metre Up side platform; timber building (ladies and general waiting rooms, store); goods shed; 5-tonne yard crane; station brand MGE; officer in charge; ticket collectors for special trains |
| **7 February 1914** | Stockyards erected |
| **13 March 1917** | Gloucester–Mount George **Automatic ETS** (Red staffs) installed |
| **14 March 1917** | Mount George–Wingham **Automatic ETS** (Blue staffs) installed |
| **29 July 1942** | Bundook–Mount George (Type C) and Mount George–Kimbriki sections established |
| 1946 | Staff exchanger: Down — Opposite Signal-box; Up — 70 feet from Grafton end of Platform |
| W.N. — 1960 | Key Staffs on Mount George–Kimbriki replaced by Ordinary Staffs |
| 1975 | Hours: 12.1 a.m.–7.0 a.m.; **9.0 p.m.–midnight** (earlier evening opening than adjacent stations); Doon Ayre directed to Mount George as nearest station |
| W.N. 50–1978 | 5-tonne crane deleted; freight shed dimensions (11×5) deleted |
| **7 June 1982** | **Motor-operated points and colour light signals** — same day as Bundook; route control relay interlocking panel; low speed indications and shunting signals; ETS Bundook–Mt George and Mt George–Kimbriki retained; automatic staff exchangers remain |
| 1985 | CTC location No. **17**; goods siding departure instructions added (Regulation 23, Circular No. 101) |
| **23 October 1985** | **Station demolished; platform reduced to 25 metres** |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1985.* 
*Note: Mount George and Bundook were converted to motor-operated points and colour light signals on the same day — 7 June 1982 — the only simultaneous conversion of two stations in the same Weekly Notice on the North Coast CTC programme. The 9.0 p.m. evening opening time in 1975 (vs 11.0 p.m. at adjacent stations) is unexplained but may relate to a specific train calling at Mount George in the 9–11 p.m. window not calling at other stations.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions