News:

Dedicated to the memory of Nick Pellier (1958-2016)

Main Menu

Kerles Siding

Started by admin, February 28, 2022, 08:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Type : Siding
Line : North Coast Line
Distance from Sydney : 381.00km (approx)
Location : -31.897959, 152.471447
Opened : 8th November 1915
Closed : 23 September 1947
Status : Closed
Name meaning : After the name of the company that operated the quarry
Notes: A siding that served the limestone quarry, the quarry is now a lake. Urban legend holds that the quarry rapidly flooded and that there is machinery still at the bottom. There's no historical evidence that such an event occurred. The lake is, however, populated by very large eels (though not perhaps big enough to take a human as another Taree urban legend claims). For many years the lake was used for swimming, however this no long occurs. Kerle's Siding was opened on **8 November 1915** at Mileage 136.75 from Newcastle, between Taree and Comboyne Road (Melinga). The siding was 697 yards in length terminating at the Limestone Quarry, with a 154-yard loop at the quarry end. Any engine class could use the siding. The Facing Point Lock key was on the Taree–Coopernook ETS. In 1920 an unusual operation was documented — **metal from Kerle's Quarry Siding conveyed to Taree Wharf Siding for discharge into a drogher** (flat-bottomed river boat) to be transported on the Manning River to Croki. The trucks were hauled from Kerle's Quarry Siding to the Wharf Junction by shunting engine, then propelled along the Wharf Siding to the old Limestone Wharf opposite the Butter Factory; hand-brakes applied and sprags placed; metal unloaded into a hopper; wagons then hauled by horse back to the Wharf Junction and returned to yard. This operation was subsequently cancelled (W.N. — 1920: "Further consignments of metal from Kerle's Quarry Siding for conveyance to the Wharf Siding will not be tendered for transit and the instructions... are hereby cancelled"). No. 6 (1924) called between Melinga and Kerle's Siding to pick up school children and convey them to Taree. Listed as Kerle's Siding\* (unattended) at Mileage 236.28 from Sydney (per 1924 timetable). Weekly Notice No. 42 of 1942 issued revised working instructions; these were superseded on 23 September 1947 when the siding was put out of use. W.N. 42–1947 deleted all references ("siding abolished on 23rd September, 1947"); W.N. 51–1947 confirmed "put out of service until further notice" with replacement instructions. Siding Abolished — W.N. 42–1947. The 1920 drogher operation — shunting engine to Wharf Junction, propelling along Wharf Siding, hand-braking at Limestone Wharf, discharging into hopper, horse hauling empty wagons back — is one of the most operationally elaborate single-siding movements documented in the collection. The use of a horse to return empty wagons is unique in the WN collection for this period. The siding's quarry is now a lake, and the 1947 closure notice ("put out of use... until further notice") suggests the closure was initially intended as temporary.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Rock stamper at the quarry, circa 1921
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

THE CHATHAM LIMESTONE INDUSTRY.
During an interview with Mr.H.W.Kerle, at the Chatham limestone quarries on Thursday last, our representative elicited a good deal of interesting information regarding the development of the industry. Operations were commenced at Chatham in May 1905 and up to the present 25.000 tons of stone have been shipped to Newcastle. Forty-five loads were shipped by the Kincumber and Corra Lynn during the four months ending 30 April last - 12 being shipped in January, 12 in February, 9 in March, and 12 in April —representing a total output of 6,645 tons of stone for the four months. At present 25 men are employed on the works, and on an average 75 tons are taken out daily.
The rates of pay vary from 6/6 to 11/- per day, and average 1 /- a day better than those given in the Lithgow district. Night work is paid for at overtime rates. All the local labour available is employed. The stone taken from this quarry is of a better quality than that to be got up the river — being 97.25 per cent of pure lime. The depth of the quarry is now 75 feet, and in order to cope with the soakage of water therein, Mr. Kerle has purchased a Worthington pump of 7600 gallons per hour capacity. This pump will be placed on the works ln a few days.
Mr. Kerle informed our representative that an immense quantity of stone could be got at the Woolla, but the cost of haulage would be prohibitive, as the stone has to he worked at a very low cost to compete with other districts. The land where Mr. Kerle is operating had been passed over on two occasions previous to his commencing work, those who inspected it thinking that the deposit consisted only of "floating'" boulders.
The stone was found by Mr. Kerle to be solid at a depth of 40ft. Speaking of the proposed deviation, Mr. Kerle pointed out the road which he proposes to make in lieu of the one now in use. Levels have already been taken, and show that the grade on the present road is about 4ft. steeper than on the proposed road, though the latter 1.5 chains longer. Mr. Kerle intends placing a plan and sections of the present road and the deviation before the Shire Council, to prove that the deviation is a better grade. In estimating that 200,000 tons of stone can be got beneath the road by going to a depth of 80 feet, the fact has to be taken into consideration that one-third of this being mullock, goes to waste, and would require to be deposited on Mrs. Wells' property.
The stone under the road would therefore be of little use to anyone else, as there is no land available for the disposal of the mullock. Some twenty holes have been sunk on the northern side of the property, and at each one the limestone has been found to be less than 2 feet from the surface — covering an area of about 3 acres of proved ground. In reference to the deposit of limestone at Wingham, which was worked for some time, Mr. Kerle said that the cartage of the stone was the drawback, and a trouble that would very soon be apparent as far as the roads were concerned, as the stone had to be carted some distance to the wharf on the Government road. Since beguiling work at Chatham 11,658 trucks, carrying approximately 2.5 tons each, have been dispatched from the quarry to the wharf on the tramline. Had the haulage been carried on upon the roads, they would probably not be in the excellent state of repair they are now. Should the work progress favourably, Mr. Kerle proposes to build lime-kilns and burn all the small stone taken from the quarry, so that local demands maybe supplied.
If the deviation in the road, at present receiving the consideration of the Shire Council, be granted, the alterations to be made will cost fully £200. The Manning River Limestone and S.S. Co. have decided to purchase a vessel of 250 tons capacity and place her in the trade instead of the Kincumber. The new boat will have accommodation for about 20 passengers, with a speed of about 10 knots. It will be seen, therefore, that not only has the industry given employment to a large number of men, but has also been the means of bringing an extra steamer to the river, and opening up a rapidly increasing trade with Newcastle, with consequent benefit to the district. The value of the property from which the stone is taken has been increased many times over.
Some doubt now exists as to whether the Shire Council has power to grant the deviation in the road asked for by Mr. Kerle. Although the road must be maintained by the Council, it is classed as a " national" work, with supervision by the Government officer.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Kerle's Siding (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1915–1947

---

**Type:** Private Siding — Limestone Quarry (Closed) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Taree–Melinga section) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 381.000 km (approximately; Mileage 136.75 from Newcastle / 238 miles from Sydney approximately; freight computed as if 138 miles from Newcastle — W.N. — 1916) 
**Between:** Taree and Comboyne Road (Melinga) 
**Opened:** **8 November 1915** — "since 8th November, 1915" per W.N. — 1915 (your notes give 1 November 1915 — discrepancy noted) 
**Closed:** **23 September 1947** — put out of use (W.N. 42–1947 and 51–1947) 
**Status:** Closed (quarry now a lake) 
**Name meaning:** Named after the operator of the quarry — Mr Kerle (Kerle's Quarry) 
**Side:** Up side; points facing on Down journey 
**Ground Frame:** Fixed near Main Line Points; Regulation D; Facing Point Lock Lever key attached to **Taree–Coopernook ETS** 
**Length:** 697 yards to Limestone Quarry; loop with **154 yards standing room** at the Limestone Quarry at the end 
**Engines permitted:** Any class 

---

> **Notes:** Kerle's Siding was opened on **8 November 1915** (per WN; your notes give 1 November 1915) at Mileage 136.75 from Newcastle, between Taree and Comboyne Road (Melinga). The siding was 697 yards in length terminating at the Limestone Quarry, with a 154-yard loop at the quarry end. Any engine class could use the siding. The Facing Point Lock key was on the Taree–Coopernook ETS.
>
> Freight mileage was adjusted in 1916 — all freight to and from Kerle's Siding to be computed as if the siding was **138 miles from Newcastle** (actual Mileage 136.75), with a footnote in the rates book ($$$).
>
> In 1920 an unusual operation was documented — **metal from Kerle's Quarry Siding conveyed to Taree Wharf Siding for discharge into a drogher** (flat-bottomed river boat) to be transported on the Manning River to Croki. The trucks were hauled from Kerle's Quarry Siding to the Wharf Junction by shunting engine, then propelled along the Wharf Siding to the old Limestone Wharf opposite the Butter Factory; hand-brakes applied and sprags placed; metal unloaded into a hopper; wagons then hauled by horse back to the Wharf Junction and returned to yard. This operation was subsequently cancelled (W.N. — 1920: "Further consignments of metal from Kerle's Quarry Siding for conveyance to the Wharf Siding will not be tendered for transit and the instructions... are hereby cancelled").
>
> No. 6 (1924) called between Melinga and Kerle's Siding to pick up school children and convey them to Taree. Listed as Kerle's Siding\* (unattended) at Mileage 236.28 from Sydney (per 1924 timetable). Weekly Notice No. 42 of 1942 issued revised working instructions; these were superseded on 23 September 1947 when the siding was put out of use. W.N. 42–1947 deleted all references ("siding abolished on 23rd September, 1947"); W.N. 51–1947 confirmed "put out of service until further notice" with replacement instructions.

---

## 1915 — Opened 8 November 1915; 697 Yards; Loop at Quarry; Any Engine Class; Taree–Coopernook ETS Key

### Kerle's Siding Opened — W.N. — 1915
> **Kerle's Siding between Taree and Comboyne Road (North Coast)** — Since **8th November, 1915**, a new siding for Mr. Kerle, laid in on the **Up side** of the line at Mileage **136.75 from Newcastle**, between Taree and Comboyne Road, and with points facing on the **Down journey**, has been in use.
>
> The points in the Main Line, Facing Point Lock, and the Catch-points in the siding are worked from a **Ground Frame** fixed near the Main Line Points, and must be operated in accordance with **Regulation D** on page 27 of the General Appendix.
>
> The Key for releasing the Facing Point Lock Lever of the Ground Frame is attached to the **Electric Train Staff for the section Taree–Coopernook**.
>
> **Engines of any class** may run on the siding which is **697 yards in length**, and a loop with **154 yards of standing room** is provided at the Limestone Quarry at the end. *(Source: 1915 Weekly Notices)*

> **Note:** Your notes give **1 November 1915** as the opening date. The Weekly Notice states "since 8th November, 1915." The discrepancy of one week may reflect the drafting date (1 November) vs the operational date (8 November), or an error in external records.

---

## 1916 — Freight Mileage Amended to 138 Miles from Newcastle

### Freight Mileage — W.N. — 1916
> **Kerle's Siding (North Coast)** — In future the freight on all traffic to and from Kerle's Siding, between Taree and Comboyne Road, will be **computed as if the Siding was 138 miles from Newcastle**. (R. 16–73,985.) *(Source: 1916 Weekly Notices)*

> **Note:** The actual Mileage 136.75 was adjusted to 138 miles for freight computation purposes — an uplift of approximately 1.25 miles, reflecting the additional handling/transport cost for this remote quarry siding. The rates book footnote "$$$ Charges to and from Kerle's Siding to be computed as if 138 miles from..." was deleted at the siding's abolition in 1947.

---

## 1920 — Metal Conveyed from Kerle's Quarry to Wharf Siding for Drogher to Croki — then Cancelled

### Metal Conveyed to Wharf Siding — W.N. — 1920
> **Wharf Siding, Taree (North Coast) — Conveyance of Metal from Kerle's Quarry Siding to Wharf Siding to be Unloaded into Drogher whilst Vehicles are Standing on the Branch Line** — Commencing at once, metal will be loaded at Kerle's Quarry Siding, Taree, for conveyance to the Wharf Siding, to be there unloaded from the Departmental trucks into a **hopper for discharge into a Drogher**, conveying the metal on the Manning River to **Croki**.
>
> The trucks will be hauled from the Quarry Siding to the Wharf Junction by the **shunting engine**, from whence they will be propelled along the Wharf Siding and brought to a stand at the level crossing opposite the old **Limestone Wharf**, where they must be secured by the application of hand-brakes on each vehicle, and in addition, **sprags must be securely placed in the wheels of the vehicles nearest the Butter Factory**.
>
> After the metal has been unloaded from the wagons, they will be hauled by a **horse** back to the Wharf Junction and returned to yard. *(Source: 1920 Weekly Notices)*

### Drogher Operation Cancelled — W.N. — 1920
> **Page 293 — Wharf Siding, Taree (North Coast) — Conveyance of Metal from Kerle's Siding to be Unloaded into Drogher whilst Vehicles are Standing on the Branch Line** — Further consignments of metal from Kerle's Quarry Siding, Taree, for conveyance to the Wharf Siding will not be tendered for transit, and the instructions on the subject in Weekly Notice No. 41 of [1920] are hereby cancelled. (20–32,233.) *(Source: 1920 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1924 — Listed as Unattended; No. 6 Calls for School Children; Mileage 236.28

### Unattended; School Children Stop — 1924
> **Kerle's Siding\*** — listed as unattended; Mileage **236.28** in station sequence (between Taree and Melinga; Taree at 235m 00c).
>
> No. 6 calls at Mileage **240m 59c** (between Melinga and Kerle's Siding) to **pick up school children** and convey them to Taree. *(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1942 — Working Instructions Revised — Weekly Notice No. 42 of 1942

### Working Instructions — W.N. 42–1942
> **Weekly Notice No. 42 of 1942** — revised working instructions issued for Kerle's Siding. These instructions were superseded on 23 September 1947. *(Source: referenced in W.N. 51–1947)*

---

## 1945 — Kerle's Siding Instructions Updated — W.N. 46–1945

### Instructions Updated — W.N. 46–1945
> **Siding — Kerles Siding** — existing instructions [updated as part of Taree yard reorganisation following opening of Taree North and South Signal-boxes on 5 June 1945]. *(Source: 1945 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1947 — Siding Abolished — 23 September 1947

### Siding Abolished — W.N. 42–1947
> **Pages 32, [59], and 267 — Kerle's Siding, Taree, Abolished** — Delete all reference, as the siding was abolished on **23rd September, 1947**.
>
> Working Time-table, Northern Division, to also be posted accordingly. (45–30,810.) *(W.N. 42–1947)*

### Footnote Deleted — Rates Book
> Delete footnote: **$$$ Charges to and from Kerle's Siding to be computed as if 138 miles from [Newcastle]**. *(W.N. 42–1947)*

### Siding Put Out of Use — W.N. 51–1947
> **Pages 3, 59 and 267 — Kerle's Siding, Taree** — Instructions on this subject in **Weekly Notice No. 42 of 1942** are superseded by the following:
>
> On **23rd September, 1947**, Kerle's Siding was **put out of use**, and will remain out of service until further notice.
>
> Working Time-table, Northern Division: to be posted accordingly. *(W.N. 51–1947)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **8 November 1915** | **Siding opened** — Up side, Mileage 136.75 from Newcastle (between Taree and Comboyne Road); 697 yards to Limestone Quarry; 154-yard loop at quarry end; Ground Frame (Regulation D); Facing Point Lock key on Taree–Coopernook ETS; any engine class permitted (your notes give 1 November 1915 — discrepancy noted) |
| W.N. — 1916 | Freight computed as if **138 miles from Newcastle** (actual 136.75); footnote $$$ in rates book |
| W.N. — 1920 | Metal from Kerle's Quarry conveyed to Wharf Siding by shunting engine; discharged into hopper for drogher to Croki (Manning River); wagons returned by horse — later cancelled (same year) |
| 1924 | Listed as unattended (\*) at Mileage 236.28; No. 6 calls between Melinga and Kerle's Siding for school children |
| W.N. 42–1942 | Working instructions revised |
| W.N. 46–1945 | Instructions updated following Taree North/South Signal-box opening |
| **23 September 1947** | **Siding abolished** — all references deleted; rates footnote deleted; W.N. 42 and 51–1947 |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1915–1947.* 
*Note: The 1920 drogher operation — shunting engine to Wharf Junction, propelling along Wharf Siding, hand-braking at Limestone Wharf, discharging into hopper, horse hauling empty wagons back — is one of the most operationally elaborate single-siding movements documented in the collection. The use of a horse to return empty wagons is unique in the WN collection for this period. The siding's quarry is now a lake, and the 1947 closure notice ("put out of use... until further notice") suggests the closure was initially intended as temporary.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions