Shannon Brook

Started by admin, May 13, 2022, 10:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Type : Station
Line : North Coast Line
Distance from Sydney : 796.373km
Location : -28.920108, 153.007843
Opened : 5 January 1927 (replaced Boomooderie 2nd site and was constructed on Boomooderie 1st site location (offset by 600 metres))
Closed : 4 December 1973 (passenger service suspended), closed May 1975
Status : Closed
Name meaning : After the nearby stream of the same name
Notes : The Up platform was 76.2 metres in length and had a corrugated iron building.
Opening — W.N. 1–1927

Pages 50, 63 and 304 — Shannon Brook (Grafton-Murwillumbah Line) — Provision of New Platform and Siding — On Wednesday, 5th January, 1927, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., a new Platform, 250 feet in length, on the Up side of the line, also a Loop Siding, 200 feet in length in the clear, laid in on the Down side of the line at Mileage 60.58 (from Grafton), between Leeville and South Casino, and to be known as SHANNON BROOK, will be brought into use.

Shannon Brook will be unattended, and all traffic must be dealt with under Siding and Platform conditions, freight and other charges on Inwards traffic to be prepaid. Only small lots of goods should be accepted for this platform.

A Pig Race is also provided at the Casino end of the Loop Siding.

Shannon Brook will be under the control of Leeville [this was incorrect, from inception it was under Rappville — per W.N. 3–1927].


friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Shannon Brook opened in 1927 after the closure of the nearby Boombooderie station (which was in an inconvenient position for local farmers). In the mid 1930s it became a somewhat popular stop due the the alleged healing properties of a nearby spring.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Daily Telegraph, 19/6/1948
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Shannon Brook level crossing (undated, State Archives)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Flood damaged track at Shannon Brook, 20/2/1954
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

A relatively clean 4422 with 4532 head a heavy No.4 Up Brisbane Express south from Casino seen here at Shannon Brook on 25th July 1970 (George Stevens)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Temporary deviation cutting for spoil at Shannon Brook, although undated this is included with fllod alleviation images from 1954 so is possibly associated with that (State Archives).
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

WN1 of 1927
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Shannon Brook (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1927–1975

---

**Type:** Station (Closed) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Leeville–Casino section) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 796.373 km (Mileage **60 miles 53 chains from Grafton** — coaching; **61 miles from Grafton** — goods; **494 miles from Darling Harbour**) 
**Location:** -28.920108, 153.007843 
**Between:** Leeville (south) and South Casino (north) 
**Opened:** **Wednesday, 5 January 1927** — simultaneous with Boomooderie closure; W.N. 1–1927 (ref. –6–21,252) 
**Relation to Boomooderie:** Replaced Boomooderie 2nd site; constructed on or near Boomooderie 1st site location (offset ~600 metres per your notes) 
**Passenger service suspended:** **4 December 1973** (per your notes) 
**Closed:** **May 1975** (per your notes; W.N. 26–1975 deletions) 
**Status:** Closed 
**Name meaning:** Named after the nearby Shannon Brook stream 

### Platform and Building
**Platform:** **250 feet (76.2 metres)** — **Up side** of line 
**Building:** Corrugated iron (per your notes) 
**Siding:** **200 feet** in the clear — **Down side** of line 

### At Opening (W.N. 1–1927)
**Unattended** — all traffic dealt with under Siding and Platform conditions 
**Inwards traffic:** Freight and other charges to be prepaid 
**Goods:** Only small lots accepted 
**Pig Race:** Provided at Casino end of Loop Siding 
**Control:** Initially stated as **Leeville** (W.N. 1); corrected to **Rappville** (W.N. 3–1927) 
**Grade:** Siding is Level 
**ETS:** Miniature Electric Train Staff for section **Leeville–Casino** — Regulation B 
**Interlocking:** Main line points and catch-points at each end of siding worked from Frames **A** and **B**, fixed near points in Main line on Up side; No. 1 Lever in Frames A and B unlocked by key on Miniature ETS Leeville–Casino 
**Station Brand:** **SFB** (OCR reads "SFIB") 
**Station Distinguishing Number:** **L30KA** (OCR garbled) 

### Control Correction — W.N. 3–1927
W.N. 1–1927 stated control = Leeville; W.N. 3–1927 corrected to **Rappville** (same ref. 26–21,252). Both Leeville and South Casino were themselves under Rappville control (W.N. 41–1955).

### Power's Codes (W.N. — 1955)
**Shannon Brook:** Ordinary **3425/1**; Local **3420-5**

---

> **Notes:** Shannon Brook opened 5 January 1927 on the same day Boomooderie closed — constructed near the Boomooderie 1st site location (~600 metres offset per your notes). 250-foot Up side platform with corrugated iron building. 200-foot Down side loop siding with pig race at Casino end. Initially stated to be under Leeville control (W.N. 1–1927) but immediately corrected to Rappville (W.N. 3–1927). Mileages: 60 miles 53 chains from Grafton (coaching) / 61 miles (goods) / 494 miles from Darling Harbour. Passenger services suspended 4 December 1973; station closed May 1975; all Working Timetable references deleted W.N. 26–1975.

---

## 1927 — Opened 5 January 1927 — W.N. 1–1927

### Opening — W.N. 1–1927
> **Pages 50, 63 and 304 — Shannon Brook (Grafton-Murwillumbah Line) — Provision of New Platform and Siding** — On **Wednesday, 5th January, 1927**, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., a new Platform, **250 feet** in length, on the **Up side** of the line, also a Loop Siding, **200 feet** in length in the clear, laid in on the **Down side** of the line at Mileage **60.58** (from Grafton), between Leeville and South Casino, and to be known as **SHANNON BROOK**, will be brought into use.
>
> Shannon Brook will be **unattended**, and all traffic must be dealt with under Siding and Platform conditions, freight and other charges on Inwards traffic to be **prepaid**. Only **small lots of goods** should be accepted for this platform.
>
> A **Pig Race** is also provided at the Casino end of the Loop Siding.
>
> Shannon Brook will be under the control of **Leeville** [*corrected to Rappville — W.N. 3–1927*].
>
> **Grade** — The Siding is Level.
>
> **Interlocking Arrangements** — The points in the Main line and the Catch-points at each end of the Siding are worked from Levers **"A"** and **"B"**, fixed near the points in the Main line on the Up side. No. 1 Lever in Frames "A" and "B" is unlocked by key attached to the **Miniature Electric Train Staff** for the section **Leeville–Casino**, and must be operated in accordance with **Regulation B** on page 55 of the General Appendix.
>
> **Mileages for Rates Purposes:**
> - Coaching: From Grafton **60 miles 53 chains**
> - Goods: From Grafton **61 miles**
> - From Darling Harbour: **494 miles**
>
> **Station Brand:** **SFB** 
> **Station Distinguishing Number:** **L30KA** *(OCR garbled)* *(W.N. 1–1927; ref. –6–21,252)*

### Control Corrected — W.N. 3–1927
> **Shannon Brook (Grafton-Murwillumbah Line)** — With reference to the instructions contained in Weekly Notice No. 1 of 1927 — Shannon Brook is under the control of **Rappville**. (26–21,252.) *(W.N. 3–1927)*

---

## 1955 — Power's Codes

### Power's Codes — W.N. — 1955
> **Pages 47 and 82 — Shannon Brook:** Ordinary **3425/1**; Local **3420-5**. *(W.N. — 1955)*

---

## 1974 — Border Tables Deleted — W.N. 29–1974

### Border Tables Deleted — W.N. 29–1974
> **Page 174 — Maitland–Queensland Border** — Delete ... Leeville, **Shannonbrook** [sic], Fairy Hill, Kilgra, Wiangaree, The Risk, Mt Lion, Loadstone. (C.1–74.) *(W.N. 29–1974)*

> **Page 72** — Delete **Repton, Shannonbrook** [sic], South Gundagai and relative distances. *(W.N. 29–1974)*

---

## 1975 — All Remaining References Deleted — W.N. 26–1975

### All References Deleted — W.N. 26–1975
> **Page 84 — Accommodation Provided** — Delete all reference to Warragai Creek, Lawrence Road, Ampdale, Coombell, Amarina and **Shannon Brook**. (A1 73 77203.) *(W.N. 26–1975)*

> **Working Timetable — Northern** and associated tables — Delete all reference to **Shannon Brook** alongside Lawrence Road, Ampdale, Coombell, Wiangaree and Loadstone. (A1 73 77203.) *(W.N. 26–1975)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **5 January 1927** | **Opened** — 250-foot Up side platform; 200-foot Down side loop siding; unattended; Siding and Platform conditions; pig race at Casino end; control initially Leeville (corrected to Rappville in W.N. 3–1927); Miniature ETS Leeville–Casino; Regulation B; Station Brand SFB; Darling Harbour 494 miles (W.N. 1–1927; ref. –6–21,252) |
| **W.N. 3–1927** | Control corrected from Leeville to **Rappville** (ref. 26–21,252) |
| **W.N. — 1955** | Power's codes — **3425/1** (Ordinary) / **3420-5** (Local) |
| **4 December 1973** | **Passenger services suspended** (per your notes) |
| **W.N. 29–1974** | Deleted from border tables and distances (ref. C.1–74) |
| **May 1975** | **Station closed** (per your notes) |
| **W.N. 26–1975** | All Working Timetable and accommodation references deleted (ref. A1 73 77203) |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1927–1975.* 
*Note: Shannon Brook's opening on the same day as Boomooderie's closure (5 January 1927) in W.N. 1–1927 — on the same page — confirms it was a direct replacement. The immediate control correction (Leeville → Rappville) in W.N. 3–1927, using the same file reference, suggests an administrative error in the original notice that was caught within two weeks of publication. The pig race at the Casino end of the 200-foot loop siding is notable given the modest size of the facility — pig races were typically associated with larger stations with dedicated stock facilities, making Shannon Brook one of the smaller platforms in the collection to have one. The station brand "SFB" (Shannon Brook — confirming the OCR "SFIB" reading) and the 494-mile Darling Harbour distance place Shannon Brook firmly in the Casino operational district.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions