Johns River

Started by admin, April 23, 2022, 09:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Another of the crossing loops provided around the time of the completion of the standard gauge to Brisbane. In this image Stuart Sharp has been caught conversing with the signalman. RT Taaffe
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Scanned from a slide taken 65 years ago this month by my father, Les Trudgett who was a "Safe Working Porter" at Johns River between early 1961 & mid 1964.
4302 on a up goods passing through Johns River, March 1961. (Barry Trudgett)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# John's River (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1915–1982

---

**Type:** Station (Closed) / Crossing Loop (in use) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Moorland–John's River / John's River–Kendall sections at opening; later Coopernook–John's River / John's River–Kendall) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 417.800 km (Mileage 259m — between Moorland and Kendall) 
**Location:** -31.733312, 152.699191 
**Between:** Moorland/Coopernook and Kendall 
**Opened:** **12 April 1915** (with opening of Taree–Wauchope section; construction name Stewart's Creek) 
**Central Interlocked Loop opened:** **12 December 1933** — sections Coopernook–Kendall cancelled; Coopernook–John's River and John's River–Kendall created; **Circular No. 581–13 of 1933** issued (W.N. 50–1933) 
**Stock Yards put out of use:** **W.N. 29–1935** (reference 35–54,807) 
**Goods Siding extended:** **13 April 1950** — 150 feet at Sydney end; total 749 feet in clear; Frame C relocated adjacent to 2C points; Circular No. 581–13 amended (W.N. 18–1950) 
**Station closed:** **30 June 1974** 
**Goods and Stock Siding abolished:** **17 May 1981** — Frames B and C and associated equipment removed; Levers 10 and 11 spare; Circular No. 581–13 amended (W.N. 19 and 20–1981) 
**Standing Room deleted:** 34 trucks deleted from accommodation table (W.N. 38–1981) 
**Motor-operated points:** **12 July 1982** — ETS Coopernook–John's River and John's River–Kendall retained (W.N. — 1982) 
**Status:** Closed (station); loop in use 
**Name meaning:** Named after Johns Creek (ironically — construction name was Stewart's Creek) 
**Station Brand:** Allotted 1933 (No. 758 per W.N. — 1934; see note) 
**Platform:** 76.2-metre Up side; timber buildings (general and ladies waiting rooms, Station Master's office, out-of-room); goods shed 
**ETS sections at opening:** Moorland–John's River and John's River–Kendall (changed at opening of Coopernook loop in 1933 — see note) 
**Circular:** No. 581–13 of 1933 (referenced to 1981) 

---

> **Notes:** John's River opened 12 April 1915 as an unattended station with the standard arrangement — green disc by day, lamp by night; all consignments prepaid under Siding and Platform conditions. Construction name: Stewart's Creek. ETS sections at opening: Moorland–John's River and John's River–Kendall (part of the Coopernook–Kendall section after the short-lived Comboyne Road closure in June 1915 changed the section to Coopernook–Moorland–John's River–Kendall). Goods shunting: 10 minutes (1915 and 1920); 10–15 minutes (1924); 12 minutes (1930).
>
> On **12 December 1933** John's River was opened as an Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station with a central interlocked loop — simultaneously the section Coopernook–Kendall was cancelled and new sections Coopernook–John's River and John's River–Kendall created. Coopernook Frame "J" and Kendall Frame "D" simultaneously altered to be unlocked by the new section staffs (W.N. 50–1933). Circular No. 581–13 of 1933 issued.
>
> Stock Yards put out of use W.N. 29–1935 (reference 35–54,807). Goods siding extended 150 feet at Sydney end since 13 April 1950 — total 749 feet in clear; Frame C relocated adjacent to 2C points; Circular No. 581–13 amended (W.N. 18–1950). Parcels Obliterating Stamp No. 758 allotted (W.N. — 1934 — "Add John's River 758").
>
> Station closed 30 June 1974 — deleted from rates books (page 80, W.N. — 1974). Goods and Stock Siding abolished **17 May 1981** (W.N. 19–1981; republished W.N. 20–1981) — connections in loop line to Stock and Goods siding worked from Frames B and C removed; Frames B and C and associated equipment removed; Levers 10 and 11 spare; Circular No. 581–13 amended. Standing room 34 trucks deleted from accommodation table (W.N. 38–1981). Motor-operated points and colour light signals **12 July 1982** — route control relay interlocking panel; existing electrical interlocking machine placed out of use; ETS Coopernook–John's River and John's River–Kendall retained; automatic staff exchangers remain; telephone call indicators (blue light and hooter); diagram on page 37 of that W.N.

---

## 1915 — Opened 12 April 1915; Unattended; Green Disc; Sections; Goods Shunting

### Opening Instructions — 1915
> Lansdowne, Moorland, **John's River**, Camden Haven River and Heron's Creek — all consignments prepaid under Siding and Platform conditions. Passengers exhibit **green disc by day and light lamp at night**. *(Source: 1915 Weekly Notices)*

### ETS Sections at Opening — 1915
> - **Moorland–John's River**
> - **John's River–Kendall**
>
> *(Source: 1915 Weekly Notices — ETS sections table)*

### Goods Shunting Times — 1915
> - No. 17 Goods: John's River, 10 minutes; Moorland, 10 minutes; Langley Vale, 25 minutes
> - No. 2 Goods: Heron's Creek, 10 minutes; Camden Haven River, 10 minutes; **John's River, 10 minutes**; Moorland, 10 minutes

*(Source: 1915 Weekly Notices — appears multiple times)*

---

## 1920 — 10 Minutes Goods Shunting

### Goods Shunting — 1920
> No. 142 Goods: **Johns River, 10 minutes**; Moorlands, 10 minutes; Langley Vale, 25 minutes. *(Source: 1920 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1924 — Unattended; 10–15 Minutes Goods Shunting

### Listed as Unattended — 1924
> **John's River\*** — listed as unattended in station sequence. *(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

### Goods Shunting Times — 1924
> - No. 142 Goods: **John's River, 10 minutes**; Moorland, 10 minutes; Langley Vale, 25 minutes
> - No. 19 Goods: **John's River, 15 minutes**; Ross Glen, 11 minutes; Heron's Creek, 20 minutes
> - No. [—]: **John's River, 9 minutes**; Moorland, 9 minutes; Langley Vale, 25 minutes; Lansdowne, 12 minutes

*(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1930 — 12 Minutes Goods Shunting

### Goods Shunting — 1930
> No. [—] Goods: **John's River, 12 minutes**; Moorlands, 25 minutes; Langley Vale, 15 minutes; Lansdowne, 10 minutes; Kundle Kundle, 10 minutes. *(Source: 1930 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1933 — Central Interlocked Loop Opened — 12 December 1933; Circular No. 581–13; Coopernook–Kendall Cancelled

### Loop Opened as ETS and Crossing Station — W.N. 50–1933
> **John's River (North Coast) — Opening as an Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station** — On **Tuesday, 12th December, 1933**, between 8.0 a.m. and 5.0 p.m., John's River will be opened as an Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station, and the present Electric Train Staff section, **Coopernook–Kendall**, cancelled.
>
> The new sections to be opened will be **Coopernook–John's River** and **John's River–Kendall**.
>
> The complete arrangements will be in accordance with **Circular No. 581–13 of 1933**, and diagram attached thereto. *(W.N. 50–1933)*

### Coopernook Frame "J" Altered — W.N. 50–1933
> **Coopernook (North Coast) — Altered Releasing of Ground Frame** — On and from Tuesday, 12th December, 1933, No. 1 lever in Frame **"J"** will be unlocked by key on the Miniature Electric Train Staff for the section **Coopernook–John's River**. *(W.N. 50–1933)*

### Kendall Frame "D" Altered — W.N. 50–1933
> **Kendall (North Coast) — Altered Releasing of Ground Frame** — On and from Tuesday, 12th December, 1933, No. 1 lever in Frame **"D"** will be unlocked by key on the Miniature Electric Train Staff for the section **John's River–Kendall**.
>
> **Circular No. 308 of 1922** to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 50–1933)*

---

## 1934 — Parcels Obliterating Stamp No. 758; Hours of Attendance

### Parcels Stamp — W.N. — 1934
> **Add: John's River — 758.** (C. 4–31.) *(Source: 1934 Weekly Notices)*

### Hours of Attendance — 1934
> **John's River** — Mondays to Fridays: 12 midnight to 2.15 a.m., 3.30 a.m. to 4.30 a.m. [partial hours listed]. *(Source: 1934 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1935 — Stock Yards Put Out of Use — W.N. 29–1935

### Stock Yards Deleted — W.N. 29–1935
> **Page 196 — John's River — Stock Yards** — The Stock Yards at John's River have been put out of use. Delete particulars relative thereto under heading "Cattle and Sheep." (35–54,807.) *(W.N. 29–1935)*

---

## 1946 — Staff Exchanger Position

### Staff Exchanger — 1946
> **John's River** — staff exchanger positions listed in the 1946 table (between Coopernook and Kendall). *(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1950 — Goods Siding Extended 150 Feet; Frame C Relocated — 13 April 1950

### Goods Siding Extended — W.N. 18–1950
> **John's River (North Coast) — Extension of Goods Siding and Re-location of Ground Frame** — Since **13th April, 1950**, the Goods Siding has been extended **150 feet at the Sydney end**, and it is now **749 feet in the clear**.
>
> Frame **"C"** has been re-located in a corresponding position adjacent to **2C points**.
>
> Diagram attached to **Circular No. 581–13 of 1933** to be amended accordingly. (S. & T.E. 48–595,101–W. & M.) *(W.N. 18–1950)*

---

## 1974 — Station Closed — 30 June 1974; Deleted from Rates Books

### Rates Books Deleted — W.N. — 1974
> **Page 80 — John's River** — Delete station name and relevant particulars. *(W.N. — 1974 — listed with Langley Vale, Kundabung and Lansdowne as deleted)*

### Station Closed — 30 June 1974
> **John's River station closed — 30 June 1974.** *(Source: your notes)*

---

## 1981 — Goods and Stock Siding Abolished — 17 May 1981; W.N. 19 and 20–1981

### Goods and Stock Siding Abolished — W.N. 19–1981 (republished W.N. 20–1981)
> **John's River (North Coast) — Removal of Stock and Goods Siding** — On **Sunday, 17th May, 1981**, between 7.30 a.m. and 4.00 p.m., the connections in the loop line leading to the Stock and Goods Siding operated by **Frames B and C** will be removed. Frames B and C and associated equipment will be removed and the Goods and Stock Siding abolished.
>
> Levers No. **10 and 11** will become spare.
>
> **Circular No. 581–13, John's River of 1933** and diagram attached, to be amended accordingly. (S&C —.) *(W.N. 19–1981; republished W.N. 20–1981)*

### Standing Room Deleted — W.N. 38–1981
> **Page 75 — Stations, Platforms and Sidings — Accommodation Provided — John's River** — In the column headed "Standing Room Other Sidings" delete **34**. (WKS 81–112.) *(W.N. 38–1981)*

---

## 1982 — Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — 12 July 1982

### Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — W.N. — 1982
> **John's River (North Coast) — Conversion to Power Operation of Points and Signals** — On **Monday, 12th July, 1982**, between 7.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m., as a preliminary to the introduction of CTC signalling, the Main line to loop points at each end of John's River crossing loop will be converted to motor operation and the mechanical Main line and loop signals replaced by **colour light signals**.
>
> **Route control relay interlocking control panel** in signal-box; existing **electrical interlocking machine** placed out of use (note: "electrical" interlocking, not the usual "mechanical" — John's River had electrical interlocking from its 1933 opening).
>
> **Low speed indication** (small green light) with route indicator, cleared by approaching train — beneath Down Home and Up Home signals. Entry to Loop on authority of low speed signal with route indication.
>
> If a Down and an Up train are closely approaching John's River at the same time, the [priority arrangement — full details in W.N.].
>
> Electric Train Staff working remains in use on sections **Coopernook–John's River** and **John's River–Kendall**; automatic staff exchanging equipment remains available.
>
> **Telephone Call Indicators** — near Starting signals at each end; **flashing blue light and sounding of a hooter**.
>
> Diagram appears on page 37 of this Weekly Notice. *(W.N. — 1982)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **12 April 1915** | **Opened** — 76.2-metre Up side platform; timber buildings (general and ladies waiting rooms, SM office, out-of-room); goods shed; unattended; green disc required; sections Moorland–John's River and John's River–Kendall; 10 minutes goods shunting |
| 1924 | Listed as unattended (\*); 9–15 minutes goods shunting |
| 1930 | 12 minutes goods shunting |
| **12 December 1933** | **Central interlocked loop opened** as ETS and Crossing Station — Coopernook–Kendall cancelled; **Coopernook–John's River** and **John's River–Kendall** created; Coopernook Frame J and Kendall Frame D altered; **Circular No. 581–13 of 1933** issued (W.N. 50–1933) |
| W.N. — 1934 | Parcels Obliterating Stamp No. **758** allotted; hours of attendance listed |
| **W.N. 29–1935** | **Stock Yards put out of use** — cattle and sheep accommodation deleted (ref. 35–54,807) |
| **13 April 1950** | **Goods Siding extended 150 feet** at Sydney end — total 749 feet in clear; Frame C relocated adjacent to 2C points; Circular No. 581–13 amended (W.N. 18–1950) |
| **30 June 1974** | **Station closed** — deleted from rates books |
| **17 May 1981** | **Goods and Stock Siding abolished** — Frames B and C removed; Levers 10 and 11 spare; 34-truck standing room deleted; Circular No. 581–13 amended (W.N. 19 and 20–1981; W.N. 38–1981) |
| **12 July 1982** | **Motor-operated points and colour light signals** — route control relay interlocking panel; electrical interlocking machine placed out of use; ETS Coopernook–John's River and John's River–Kendall retained; automatic staff exchangers remain; telephone call indicators |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1915–1982.* 
*Note: Circular No. 581–13 of 1933 was the base diagram from 1933 to 1981 — 48 years, one of the longest-lived in the collection. The 1982 description specifically notes "electrical interlocking machine" (not the usual mechanical) — confirming John's River had electrical interlocking installed when the loop opened in 1933, which was advanced for a rural crossing station of this period. The two-notice publication of the 1981 siding abolition (W.N. 19 and W.N. 20) suggests the first notice had an error or the work had to be rescheduled.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions