News:

Please keep on topic to our areas - the North Coast of NSW, Main North line & Tasmanian lines.

Main Menu

Bulliac

Started by admin, February 11, 2022, 03:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Bulliac - derailment of Brisbane Express 29/5/1961 (The Mirror)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Bulliac traffic hut, no longer in use (Nick Wells)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

South of Bulliac, undated, State Archives
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Bulliac station (State Archives)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Bulliac stgation, undated, State Archives
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Bulliac Station Notes:
Bulliac location was converted from pre CTC local control panel operated by traffic officer to full CTC remote operation from CTC control centre Broadmeadow on 9-08-1982 & electric staff working abolished (Yumbunga Bulliac Bundook)
Photo courtesy Phil Calvert collection.
Greg Riddel.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Ron Wallis, is seated on the left end. It was taken at a railway camp at Bulliac about 1950. The two people in the front are the Ganger and Assistant Ganger. (Dawn Bartlett)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Bulliac Local control panel with NT 36 having crossed 2WB7.
25-11-24 (Greg Riddel)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Bulliac phone cabin North 📞 left to one side after the Country end loop extension with this loop also being extended towards the city end.
Circa 2024 (Greg Riddel)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Bulliac signal box (this was built in 1924)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Bulliac (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1988

---

**Type:** Station (Closed) / Crossing Loop (in use) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Gloucester–Bulliac / Bulliac–Bundook sections) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 324.023 km 
**Location:** -31.916334, 152.035000 
**Between:** Yumbunga and Bundook 
**Opened:** 5 February 1913 
**Crossing Loop opened:** **17 October 1924** (W.N. 43–1924 — your notes give 1 November 1924; see note below) 
**Station closed:** July 1965 (passenger services withdrawn) 
**Station buildings demolished:** On or before 22 August 1984 
**Status:** In use (loop); closed (station) 
**Name meaning:** Aboriginal word meaning "bend in the river" 
**Station Brand:** BLC (1913) 
**Platform (original):** 76.2-metre Up side; timber building — ladies and general waiting room, out-of-room, cream shed 
**Loop (opening):** 402-metre Down side (between Main line and Goods Siding); Circular No. — of 1924 
**Loop (current):** 1,635-metre crossing loop 
**Dead-end siding:** 274 metres — converted from loop siding **2 December 1988** (W.N. 45–1988; Frame B removed 2 November 1988 — see note) 
**Booking Station:** From 1 August 1942 (W.N. 31–1942) 
**ETS sections at loop opening:** Gloucester–Bulliac (Type G; 1–4 Key, 5–36 Ordinary) and Bulliac–Mount George (Type H; 1–4 Key, 5–36 Ordinary) 
**ETS sections at 1942:** Bulliac–Bundook (Type A; 1–50 Ordinary) and Bundook–Mount George (Type C; 1–8 Key, 9–50 Ordinary) 

---

> **Notes:** Bulliac opened on 5 February 1913 with Frame A on the platform and Frames B and C for the Goods Siding. The crossing loop was brought into use on **17 October 1924** between 7.30 a.m. and 5.0 p.m. — the signal-box was fixed on the platform; Frames B and C worked the loop points at each end of the Goods Siding. Gloucester–Mount George section cancelled; new sections Gloucester–Bulliac (Type G) and Bulliac–Mount George (Type H). Your notes give 1 November 1924 — the WN date is 17 October 1924; the 1 November date may refer to when the circular was issued or when some associated works were completed.
>
> Bulliac became a Booking Station from 1 August 1942 — the asterisk before Bulliac was deleted and the station opened as a booking station (W.N. 31–1942). On 29 July 1942 Bundook was opened as an ETS and Crossing Station, cancelling the Bulliac–Mount George section and creating Bulliac–Bundook (Type A) and Bundook–Mount George (Type C).
>
> Staff exchanger positions (1946): Down Line — Opposite Signal-box; Up Line — 80 feet from Grafton end of Platform.
>
> Motor-operated points and colour light signals installed **31 May 1982** as CTC preliminary — route control relay interlocking panel; low speed indication and shunting signal (with route indicator) on Down and Up Home signals; telephone call indicators; ETS Yumbunga–Bulliac and Bulliac–Bundook retained; automatic staff exchangers remain.
>
> The siding was converted from a loop to a dead-end on **2 December 1988** (your notes). The Weekly Notice (W.N. 45–1988) states the Frame B removal occurred **2 November 1988** — "the points in the Loop line leading to the Siding and the catchpoint in the siding, worked from lever No. 2 Frame B, were removed together with Frame B, Releasing Switch B and associated equipment." A stop block with white over red buffer stop lights placed in the vicinity of former No. 2B catchpoints; Siding became a dead-end facing Up trains; No. 81 lever became spare. The **2 December 1988** date in your notes may be when the associated publications were formally updated.

---

## 1913 — Opened; Frame A on Platform; Frames B and C for Goods Siding; Fixed Signals All Right

### Opened 5 February 1913 — Frame Working
> **Bulliac** — Distant and Home Signals for the Main line provided.
>
> **Frame "A"** — situated on the **platform** at Nooroo, Ward's River, **Bulliac** and Kolodong. Frame "A" secured by Guard's lock on No. 4 Lever. Two Guard's Keys provided on each section for unlocking Frame "A" when not in use at each section end.
>
> **Frames "B" and "C"** — Facing Points in the Main line leading to the Goods Siding, Facing Point Locks, and Catch-points in the Goods Siding at the Taree and Dungog ends, worked from Frames "B" and "C" respectively, fixed near the Facing Points. Unlocked by key from **No. 5 Lever in Frame "A."** *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Fixed Signals — All Right Normal Position — 1913
> Fixed Signals at Nooroo, Ward's River, Craven, Stratford, **Bulliac**, Bundook, Somerset, Charity Creek, Karaak Flat, Killawarra and Kolodong will be **All Right**. Guards of trains on Staff Tickets must place signals to Danger during shunting and return to All Right before departure. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Goods Shunting Times — 1913
> - No. [—] Goods: Stratford, 15; **Bulliac, 10**; Bundook, 10; Somerset, 15
> - No. [—] Goods (second listing): **Bulliac, 30**

*(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1924 — Platform Between Bulliac and Bundook Provided; Crossing Loop Opened — 17 October 1924

### Platform Between Bulliac and Bundook — W.N. — 1924
> **Between Bulliac and Bundook** — A new Platform, **150 feet** in length, situated on the Down side of the line, has been provided at Mileage **203.57 from Newcastle**, between Bulliac and Bundook. *(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

### Crossing Loop Opened — W.N. 43–1924
> **Bulliac (North Coast) — Bringing Into Use as a Train Staff and Crossing Station and Provision of New Signal-box** — On **Friday, 17th October, 1924**, between 7.30 a.m. and 5.0 p.m., Bulliac will be brought into use as a Train Staff and Crossing Station.
>
> The new Loop will be laid in on the **Down side** between the Main line and Goods Siding.
>
> The points in the Main line at either end of the Loop line and all the signals will be worked from a **new Signal-box** fixed on the platform.
>
> The points in the new Loop line at either end of the Goods Siding and the Catch-points in the Siding will be worked from **Frames "B" and "C."**
>
> **System of Working** — The existing Electric Train Staff section **"Gloucester–Mount George"** will be cancelled, and the new sections will be as follows:
> - **Gloucester–Bulliac**: Electric Train Staff, Type **"G"**; Staffs Nos. 1–4 Key, 5–36 Ordinary
> - **Bulliac–Mount George**: Electric Train Staff, Type **"H"**; Staffs Nos. 1–4 Key, 5–36 Ordinary *(W.N. 43–1924)*

---

## 1942 — Bulliac Opened as Booking Station — 1 August 1942; Bundook Opened — 29 July 1942

### Booking Station — W.N. 31–1942
> **Bulliac** — Delete "\*" alongside station name and "Bulliac" in column "Controlling Station" — station will be opened as Booking Station on and from **1st August, 1942**. (42–31,722.) *(W.N. 31–1942)*

### Bundook Opened — Bulliac–Bundook Section Created — W.N. 34–1942
> On **Wednesday, 29th July, 1942**, Bundook will be brought into use as an Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station. The existing Electric Train Staff section **"Bulliac–Mt. George"** will be cancelled and new sections brought into use:
> - **Bulliac–Bundook**: E.T.S. Type **A**; Staffs Nos. 1–50 Ordinary
> - **Bundook–Mt. George**: E.T.S. Type **C**; Staffs Nos. 1–8 Key, 9–50 Ordinary *(W.N. 34–1942)*

---

## 1946 — Staff Exchanger Positions

### Staff Exchanger Positions — 1946
> **Down Line — Bulliac**: **Opposite Signal-box**. 
> **Up Line — Bulliac**: **80 feet from Grafton end of Platform**. *(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1955 — Additional ETS No. 52 on Yumbunga–Bulliac

### Additional ETS — W.N. — 1955
> **Electric Train Staff No. 52** will be provided on the section **Yumbunga–Bulliac**. *(Source: 1955 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1970 — Asterisk Deleted Before Bulliac

### Asterisk Deleted — W.N. — 1970
> **Page 64** — Delete \* before: Branxton, Breadalbane, Ribbanbee, Colesby, Bulli, **Bulliac**, Bundook\*. *(Source: 1970 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1982 — Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — 31 May 1982

### Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — W.N. 21–1982
> **Bulliac (North Coast) — Conversion to Power Operation of Points and Signals** — On **Monday, 31st May, 1982**, between 7.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m., the Main line to loop points at each end of Bulliac crossing loop will be converted to motor operation and the mechanical Main line and loop signals replaced by **colour light signals**.
>
> **Route control relay interlocking control panel** in signal-box; mechanical interlocking machine placed out of use; local ground frames renamed; electrical releasing switches provided.
>
> **Colour light signals** — single light type; **low speed indication** (small green light) and **shunting signal** (yellow light), with route indicator applicable to both, cleared by approaching train — beneath Down Home and Up Home signals.
>
> Entry to Loop line on authority of low speed signal with route indication.
>
> **Route Control Relay Interlocking Unit** — combined control panel and indicator diagram incorporating track indicator lights for track occupancy (red).
>
> Electric Train Staff working remains in use on sections **Yumbunga–Bulliac** and **Bulliac–Bundook**; automatic staff exchanging equipment at Bulliac remains available.
>
> **Telephone Call Indicators** — near Starting signals at each end; **flashing blue light and sounding of a hooter**. *(W.N. 21–1982)*

---

## 1984 — Section Lengths Confirmed; Station Buildings Demolished by 22 August 1984

### Section Lengths — 1984
> - Yumbunga–Bulliac: section reference
> - **Bulliac–Bundook**: 15 km
>
> *(Source: 1984 Weekly Notices)*

### Station Buildings Demolished — by 22 August 1984
> Station buildings at Bulliac demolished on or before **22 August 1984**. *(Source: your notes)*

---

## 1988 — Frame B Removed — 2 November 1988; Goods Siding Becomes Dead-End; W.N. 45 and 49–1988

### Frame B Connection Removed — W.N. 45–1988
> **Bulliac (North Coast) — Removal of Frame B Connection** — On **2nd November, 1988**, the points in the Loop line leading to the Siding and the catch-point in the Siding, worked from **lever No. 2, Frame B**, were removed together with Frame B, Releasing Switch B and associated equipment. Releasing Lock B has been dispensed with.
>
> A **stop block with white over red buffer stop lights** has been placed on the Siding in the vicinity of former No. 2B catch-points.
>
> **The Siding has become a dead-end facility, facing to Up trains.**
>
> No. 81 lever has become spare.
>
> The instructions in Weekly Notice Nos. 21 and 32 of 1982 and diagrams attached, to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 45–1988)*

### Bulliac Goods Siding — Updated Instructions — W.N. 49–1988
> **Bulliac Goods Siding** — delete existing instructions and insert the following:
>
> **Goods Siding** — The Goods Siding is located on the **Down side of the loop line** and is connected to the loop line by points at the **northern end** operated by **Frame C**. The siding is **315 metres** in length and stop-blocks and dead-end lights are provided on the Sydney end. *(W.N. 49–1988)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **5 February 1913** | **Opened** — 76.2-metre Up side platform; timber building (ladies and general waiting room, out-of-room, cream shed); station brand BLC; Frame A on platform; Frames B and C (Goods Siding); Fixed Signals "All Right" normal position; 10–30 minutes goods shunting |
| **17 October 1924** | **Crossing loop opened** — Down side, 402 metres, between Main line and Goods Siding; new signal-box on platform; Frames B and C (loop points at each end of Goods Siding); Gloucester–Mount George cancelled; **Gloucester–Bulliac** (Type G) and **Bulliac–Mount George** (Type H) created (W.N. 43–1924) |
| W.N. — 1924 | Platform between Bulliac and Bundook provided at Mileage 203.57 from Newcastle (150 feet, Down side) |
| **29 July 1942** | Bundook opened — **Bulliac–Mount George** cancelled; **Bulliac–Bundook** (Type A) and **Bundook–Mount George** (Type C) created (W.N. 34–1942) |
| **1 August 1942** | **Bulliac opened as Booking Station** — asterisk deleted; W.N. 31–1942 |
| 1946 | Staff exchanger: Down — Opposite Signal-box; Up — 80 feet from Grafton end of Platform |
| W.N. — 1955 | Additional ETS No. 52 on Yumbunga–Bulliac |
| **July 1965** | **Passenger services withdrawn** |
| W.N. — 1970 | Asterisk deleted before Bulliac |
| **31 May 1982** | **Motor-operated points and colour light signals** — route control relay interlocking panel; low speed indications and shunting signals; telephone call indicators (blue light and hooter); ETS Yumbunga–Bulliac and Bulliac–Bundook retained; automatic staff exchangers remain (W.N. 21–1982) |
| By **22 August 1984** | **Station buildings demolished** |
| **2 November 1988** | **Frame B removed** — loop siding connection removed; siding converted to dead-end facing Up trains; stop block with white over red lights; No. 81 lever spare (W.N. 45–1988) |
| **W.N. 49–1988** | Goods Siding updated — 315 metres, Down side of loop, Frame C at northern end; stop-blocks and dead-end lights at Sydney end |
| Current | 1,635-metre crossing loop; 274-metre dead-end siding |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1988.* 
*Note: The crossing loop opening date from the Weekly Notice is **17 October 1924** — your notes give 1 November 1924, which may reflect the date of the associated circular or completion of supplementary works. The 2 November 1988 Frame B removal (W.N. 45–1988) and 2 December 1988 date in your notes may similarly reflect the difference between the physical work date and the publication/administrative update date.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions