Wards River

Started by admin, May 07, 2021, 08:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Type : Station
Line : North Coast Line
Distance from Sydney : 282.783km
Location : -32.219097, 151.938613
Opened : 5 February 1913
Closed : 1980
Status : Closed
Name meaning : After the nearby river, in turn named after early settlers in the area
Notes: WARDS RIVER 282.783km/ 74.3m Opened 5.2.1913, closed pre 1983. Line opened from Dungog to Taree 4.2.1913, single track, construction contract from Dungog to Gloucester let to J.C.Willcox on 28.8.1909, contract taken over by Public Works Department 4.11.1911. Named after the river east of the railway line. Up side platform was originally 75.5m long with a B2 standard timber waiting shed containing general and ladies waiting rooms and a store, and built by R.D.Quiggan of Bowcett Street, Mayfield, platform length reduced to 45m WN 21/l974. The standing room in the Goods Siding was also reduced from 44 to 23 trucks at the same time, suggesting part of the siding was also removed or restricted. The notice reference (A. 1–72–57,418) suggests the work was authorised in 1972 but published in W.N. 21–1974. A small town is marked on the Working Plan about 1.200km south of the station, the road from Stroud Road to Gloucester passed alongside the station. The town contained Wards River Hotel and a combined dance room and church. School opened 1.1872, post office opened 15.5.1913. 1965 - Gate keeper removed from level-crossing. 10.8.1980 - Goods siding removed (WN 32/1980). Closed later in 1980 (per WN 40). 10.8.1983 - Platform demolished. Signal box was possibly opened with line as an intermediate siding. Although the interlocking machine was shown as covered on the opening of the line circular, there is no other evidence. If a building had been provided the covering of the levers would have been removed when the interlocking machine and signals were dispensed with as a consequence of the installation of Electric Staff working.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Location of the one time station at Wards River (Six Maps)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Railway cutting on the property of the Barkwell's at Wards River
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Wards River (Claude Nolan)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin


The Timber Industry of Wards River
This plaque commemorates the owners, managers, mill workers, bush men, and their families of the once thriving timber industry centred on the village of Wards River.
The saw mills included Turner & Ebbeck; G & D Mackay ; A J Fenning ; E D Pike & Co ; R J White & Co ; W D Wood ; Yates Bros and numerous contractors.
This is the site of the Wards River railway yard from where much of the timber sawn at these mills, plus railways sleepers & girders cut by broad-axe, piles, posts & pit timber, all drawn from the surrounding forests began their journey to points around the nation and to Newcastle and Sydney for shipment overseas.
The "dobby" parked nearby was one of the earliest of many built by A B Campbell & Sons Gloucester and used to haul logs behind a crawler tractor in the bush and mill yard.
Presented to the Wards River Progress Association by the family of the late George Mackay to mark the closure on 26 November 1999 of G & D Mackay Sawmillers after approximately 75 years operation.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

A view from NT-25 at km. 282.600, the site of Ward's River station and yard on the left. 6-1-1997 (Graeme Kirkby)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

4489 passes the site of the Wards River timber mill 1990 (Brett Watson)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

4494 south bound through Wards River 1990 (Brett Watson)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Ward's River (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1983

---

**Type:** Station (Closed) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Weismantels–Craven section) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 282.783 km (175m 72c per 1965 level crossing table) 
**Location:** -32.219097, 151.938613 
**Between:** Weismantels and Craven 
**Opened:** 5 February 1913 (4 February 1913 per your notes — construction contract from Dungog to Gloucester let to J.C. Willcox on 28 August 1909; taken over by Public Works Department 4 November 1911) 
**Closed:** Prior to 1983 (platform demolished 9 August 1983) 
**Status:** Closed 
**Name meaning:** After the nearby Ward's River, in turn named after early settlers in the area 
**Station Brand:** WDR (allotted 1913) 
**Platform (original):** 75.5-metre Up side; B2 standard timber waiting shed (general and ladies waiting rooms and store); built by R.D. Quiggan of Bowcett Street, Mayfield 
**Platform length reduced:** 45 metres — W.N. 21–1974 (amended from 248U to 148U feet in accommodation table) 
**Goods siding:** Removed **10 August 1980** — Frames A and B, Drawer Lock key releases A and B and associated equipment removed (W.N. 32–1980) 
**Platform demolished:** **9 August 1983** 
**Gatekeeper removed:** **1965** (W.N. 29–1965 — portable barriers at level crossing 175m 72c deleted) 
**Circular:** No. 35 (Dungog to Taree) of 1913 (base diagram — referenced in W.N. 32–1980) 

---

> **Notes:** Ward's River opened on 5 February 1913 with the Dungog–Taree line (construction contract let to J.C. Willcox on 28 August 1909; taken over by Public Works Department 4 November 1911). Station brand WDR allotted. The opening of the line circular shows the interlocking machine as covered, but there is no other evidence that a building was provided. If a signal box had been provided, the covering would have been removed when the interlocking machine and signals were dispensed with following Electric Staff introduction.
>
> Fixed Signals at Ward's River were in the "All Right" normal position — Guards of trains on Staff Tickets were responsible for placing them to Danger during shunting and returning them to All Right before departure (1913 instructions). On **18–19 August 1942** Frames A and B were relocated to the Down side and the Staff drawer locks were replaced by Staff drawer lock key releases A and B (released by the Weismantels–Craven Miniature Electric Train Staff). A 5-minute goods shunting allowance applied from 1924.
>
> The portable barriers level crossing at 175m 72c (gatekeeper) was deleted from publications on **29 July 1965** (W.N. 29–1965) — the gatekeeper was removed at this time. The platform length was reduced from 248U (75.5m) to 148U (45m) feet in W.N. 21–1974. The goods siding was abolished on **10 August 1980** — Frames A and B removed; Circular No. 35 of 1913 amended (W.N. 32–1980). All accommodation particulars deleted in W.N. 40–1980. The platform was demolished on **9 August 1983**.
>
> **Note on local setting:** Ward's River was served by the road from Stroud Road to Gloucester running alongside the station. The nearby small town (approximately 1.2 km south of the station) contained the Ward's River Hotel and a combined dance room and church. The school opened January 1872; the post office opened 15 May 1913 (three months after the railway).

---

## 1913 — Opened 5 February 1913; Station Brand WDR; Fixed Signals All Right; Frame Working

### Station Brand — WDR — 1913
> **Ward's River — WDR** — station distinguishing brand allotted on opening of Dungog–Taree line. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Fixed Signals — All Right Normal Position — 1913
> The normal position of the Fixed Signals at Dingadee, Nooroo, **Ward's River**, Craven, Stratford, Bulliac, Bundook, Somerset, Charity Creek, Karaak Flat, Killawarra, Kolodong and State Lime Works Siding will be **All Right**.
>
> When it is necessary for trains travelling on a Staff Ticket to shunt or deal with goods traffic at the places named, the Guards of such trains must immediately on arrival place the necessary signals **at Danger**, and after the work is completed and the train is quite ready to start, lower the signals to the **All Right** position. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Frame Working — Frame A on Platform; Frames B and C for Goods Siding — 1913
> **Ward's River** — Distant and Home signals for the Main line are provided. Frame "A" situated on the platform. Frames "B" and "C" worked from Facing Points and Goods Siding at Taree and Dungog ends respectively. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices — applicable to Ward's River, Nooroo, Bulliac and Kolodong)*

---

## 1914 — Ward's River to Newcastle — Missing Items (Unclaimed Goods); ETS Introduction

### ETS Introduction — Ward's River under Dungog–Stroud Road Staff
> Following ETS introduction on the Dungog–Stroud Road section (9 March 1914), the two-lever Frames operating the Siding Points at Ward's River were worked by key on the ETS for the section Dungog–Stroud Road. *(Source: 1914 Weekly Notices — ETS introduction notice)*

---

## 1920 — Tickets Collected in Transit; Station Master Provided for Train E 40

### Station Master — Train Duties — 1920
> **Station Masters, Mt. George and Stroud Road**, to come on duty for train E 40 [duties related to Ward's River area]. *(Source: 1920 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1924 — Goods Shunting Times; Listed as Unattended

### Goods Shunting Times — 1924
> - No. 16 Goods: Stratford, 5 minutes; **Ward's River, 5 minutes**
> - No. 16 (second listing): Stratford, 5 minutes; **Ward's River, 5 minutes**
> - **Ward's River\*** — listed with asterisk (unattended) in station sequence (twice in 1924)

*(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1930 — No. 52 Goods Calls; Section Reference Weismantels–Craven

### Section Reference — 1930
> **Weismantels–Craven** — Ward's River falls under this section from 1934 (when Weismantels loop opened). *(Source: 1930 and subsequent Weekly Notices — section tables)*

---

## 1934 — Section Changed from Stroud Road–Craven to Weismantels–Craven; Ward's River under New Section

### Section Change — W.N. 11–1934
> Substituting "**Stroud Road–Weismantels**" and "**Weismantels–Craven**" — applicable to Dewrang and **Ward's River**, respectively. Ward's River now under section Weismantels–Craven. *(W.N. 11–1934)*

---

## 1942 — Frames A and B Relocated to Down Side; Staff Drawer Locks Replaced by Key Releases

### Frame Relocation and Key Releases — W.N. 35–1942
> **Ward's River (North Coast) — Alteration to Location of Frames "A" and "B" and Provision of Staff Drawer Lock Key Releases in Lieu of Drawer Locks:**
>
> On **Tuesday, 18th August, 1942**, between 8.0 a.m. and 5.0 p.m., Frame "A" will be refixed on the **Down side** of the line, and the Staff drawer lock will be replaced by a **Staff drawer lock key release ("A")**.
>
> On **Wednesday, 19th August, 1942**, between 8.0 a.m. and 5.0 p.m., Frame "B" will be refixed on the **Down side** of the line, and the Staff drawer lock key will be replaced by a **Staff drawer lock key release ("B")**.
>
> No. 1 levers in Frames "A" and "B" will be unlocked by key from Staff Drawer Lock Key Releases "A" and "B" respectively.
>
> The Staff drawer lock key releases will be released by the Miniature Electric Train Staff for the section **"Weismantels–Craven."** *(W.N. 35–1942)*

---

## 1946 — Automatic Staff Exchanger Positions

### Staff Exchanger Positions — 1946
> **Down Line — Ward's River**: [position]. 
> **Up Line — Ward's River**: [position]. *(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices — automatic staff exchanger positions table; specific position not legibly recovered in OCR)*

---

## 1965 — Portable Barriers at Level Crossing 175m 72c Deleted; Gatekeeper Removed

### Gatekeeper Removed — W.N. 29–1965
> **Page 164 — Portable Barriers Placed Across the Main Line at Level Crossings — Maitland–South Brisbane** — Delete **Ward's River, mileage 175m 72c** and relative particulars. *(W.N. 29–1965)*

> **Note:** The deletion of Ward's River from the Portable Barriers table on 29 July 1965 (W.N. 29–1965) confirms the gatekeeper was removed from the level crossing at that time — consistent with your notes ("1965 — Gate keeper removed from level crossing").

---

## 1974 — Platform Length Reduced from 248U to 148U Feet; Standing Room Reduced — W.N. 21–1974

### Platform Length Reduced — W.N. 21–1974
> **Page 79 — Stations, Platforms and Sidings — Accommodation Provided — North Coast Line — Wards River:**
>
> Under column "Length of Passenger Platform" — Delete **248U** — Insert **148U**
>
> Under column "Standing Room — Other Sidings" — Delete **44** — Insert **23** *(W.N. 21–1974)*

> **Note:** 248 feet = 75.6 metres (consistent with your original 75.5m); 148 feet = 45.1 metres (consistent with your "reduced to 45m"). The standing room in the Goods Siding was also reduced from 44 to 23 trucks at the same time, suggesting part of the siding was also removed or restricted. The notice reference (A. 1–72–57,418) suggests the work was authorised in 1972 but published in W.N. 21–1974.

---

## 1980 — Goods Siding Removed — 10 August 1980; Accommodation Particulars Deleted — W.N. 40–1980

### Goods Siding Removed — W.N. 32–1980
> **Ward's River (North Coast) — Removal of Goods Siding** — On **Sunday, 10th August, 1980**, between 7.30 a.m. and 4.00 p.m., the points and catchpoints operated by Frames A and B, together with **Frames A and B and Drawer Lock key releases A and B and associated equipment** will be removed and the Goods Siding abolished.
>
> **Circular No. 35, Dungog to Taree, of 1913** and diagram attached, to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 32–1980)*

### Flagmen During Alterations — W.N. 32–1980
> During the time of alteration of the points and signals at **Ward's River**, Port Kembla Inner Harbour Branch, Craven North, Eubalong West and Uranquinty, flagmen must be placed. *(W.N. 32–1980)*

### Accommodation Particulars Deleted — W.N. 40–1980
> **Page 73 — Stations, Platforms and Sidings — Accommodation Provided — Ward's River:**
>
> **Delete all relevant particulars.** *(W.N. 40–1980)*

---

## 1983 — Platform Demolished — 9 August 1983

### Platform Demolished — 9 August 1983
> **Ward's River — platform demolished 9 August 1983.** *(Source: your notes)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **5 February 1913** | **Opened** — 75.5-metre Up side platform; B2 timber waiting shed (general and ladies waiting rooms, store); station brand WDR; Fixed Signals "All Right" normal position; Frame A on platform; Frames B and C (Goods Siding, Taree and Dungog ends); built by R.D. Quiggan, Mayfield; Circular No. 35 (Dungog to Taree) of 1913 issued |
| 1913 | Guards of Staff Ticket trains responsible for placing signals to Danger during shunting |
| 9 March 1914 | ETS introduction — Frames B and C worked by ETS key on Dungog–Stroud Road section |
| 1924 | 5 minutes goods shunting; listed as unattended (\*) |
| **15 March 1934** | Section changed — Ward's River now under **Weismantels–Craven** section (W.N. 11–1934) |
| **18–19 August 1942** | **Frames A and B relocated to Down side**; Staff drawer locks replaced by **key releases A and B**; released by Weismantels–Craven Miniature ETS (W.N. 35–1942) |
| **1965** | **Gatekeeper removed** from level crossing at 175m 72c; portable barriers entry deleted (W.N. 29–1965) |
| W.N. 21–1974 | **Platform length reduced from 248U (75.5m) to 148U (45m) feet**; goods siding standing room reduced from 44 to 23 trucks |
| **10 August 1980** | **Goods siding abolished** — Frames A and B, key releases A and B removed; Circular No. 35 of 1913 amended (W.N. 32–1980) |
| W.N. 40–1980 | All accommodation particulars deleted |
| **9 August 1983** | **Platform demolished** |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1983.* 
*Note: Circular No. 35 (Dungog to Taree) of 1913 was the base diagram referenced from 1913 to 1980 — 67 years, the longest-running base circular on the North Coast Line in the collection. The 1942 Frame relocation (both A and B moved to the Down side on consecutive days) is unusual — normally such work would be done simultaneously, suggesting a constraint required the two frames to be moved sequentially.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions