Charity Creek

Started by admin, February 19, 2022, 09:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Construction of Charity Creek bridge, 1912 (State Archives)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Construction near Charity Creek, January 1912 (State Archives)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

A view from cab of XPT on NT-36, approaching the steel truss bridge over Charity Creek.  2-11-2011. (Graeme Kirkby)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

6290 4487 4516 44218 passes under the long demolished overhead bridge just north of the 348km mark.
23-7-93
Greg Riddel
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

#19
Location of the station (Chris Harrison)

The location scene in the original post is between two bridges. The location of Charity Ck station and siding was behind the photographer other side of the existing bridge. You can still see remains of the original track to the station on the down side, but overgrown, and I have even found remnants of the original station hut laying about. The site of the station would be about opposite the second car of my XPT image. There is clearly more space for siding and loading yard there than between the two bridges. The earthworks seen to the right of the Alco's is just service access for rail maintenance.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Diagram by Chris Harrison
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Opening of the Kimbriki Bridge, Wingham Chronicle, April 20th 1926
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

The first official train on the new Taree section saw 28 2nd class passengers board at the station.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

28/11/1986 - Geographic Names board announces the intention to discontinue the name of the location, cmpleted and Gazetted on 9/1/1987
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Kevin Short states " I too remember Charity Creek station. Dad (a driver) used to keep a lookout for the peach trees adjacent to the track to ripen. We'd spend the weekend picking peaches and then bottling them in Fowler ware. We'd be eating the bloody things for months."
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Greg Murray and Phillip Lambert in 1965 on the Lambert farm overlooking Charity Creek station in the background. (John Lambert)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

These days they simply put signs up to warn of snakes.
Manning River Times, May 9, 1951
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Charity Creek (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1975

---

**Type:** Station (Closed — Platform) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Mount George–Kimbriki section; originally Mount George–Wingham) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 348.294 km (215m approximately) 
**Location:** -31.903532, 152.231640 
**Between:** Mount George and Karaak Flat 
**Opened:** 4 March 1913 (Goods Siding delayed — not brought into use at line opening) 
**Goods Siding:** Added 4 March 1913 (per your notes); not in use at line opening (truckloads refused until signals provided) 
**ETS section changed:** 30 January 1934 — Frames A and B unlocked by Mount George–Kimbriki Miniature ETS (replacing Mount George–Wingham) — Circular No. 13 of 1913 amended (W.N. 5–1934) 
**Platform reduced:** From 250 feet (76.2m) to 50 feet (15.24m) — W.N. 29–1967 (authorisation A.1–67–60,624) 
**Station closed:** **29 June 1975** (W.N. 26–1975) 
**Status:** Closed 
**Name meaning:** Named after the nearby Charity Creek 
**Station Brand:** CCK (allotted 1913) 
**Platform:** 76.2-metre Down side; timber building with general and ladies waiting rooms and store; accessed by track to the bottom of a hill; no nearby town 
**Grade:** 1 in 120, falling in Down direction 
**Signals:** Trains signalled to stop using a lantern at night and a paddle by day 
**Telephone:** Ganger's telephone — No. 79 Telephone Circuit North; call (. _ . _) 
**Circular:** No. 13 of 1913 (Charity Creek base diagram — referenced to 1934) 

---

> **Notes:** Charity Creek is an unusual opening case — the line opened 5 February 1913 but the Goods Siding was not brought into use at that date. A 1913 notice (after opening) states "As the Goods Siding will not be brought into use at present, goods in truckloads must not be accepted for this place until further notice. In the meantime, only small out-of consignments are to be accepted, and the aggregate weight must not exceed 30 cwt. Fixed signals are not yet provided." The siding opened on 4 March 1913 (per your notes) — about one month after the line opened.
>
> Frame A was on the platform (as at Stratford, Bundook, Somerset, Karaak Flat and Killawarra); Frames B and C for the Goods Siding ends, unlocked by No. 5 Lever in Frame A. Signal levers were shown as covered when the line opened — if a building was provided, it would have been removed when the interlocking machine and signals were dispensed with in conjunction with ETS introduction. Trains were signalled to stop using a lantern at night and a paddle by day (unusual — at most unattended stations a green disc was used by day).
>
> The section changed on 30 January 1934 — Frames A and B unlocked by key on the Miniature ETS for **Mount George–Kimbriki** (replacing Mount George–Wingham), following the opening of Kimbriki as a crossing station. Circular No. 13 of 1913 amended (W.N. 5–1934). Platform reduced from 250 feet (76.2m) to 50 feet (15.24m) in 1967 — W.N. 29–1967, authorisation A.1–67–60,624. Station closed 29 June 1975 alongside Somerset.

---

## 1913 — Opened; Goods Siding Not Brought Into Use at Line Opening; Fixed Signals Not Yet Provided

### Goods Siding Delayed — 1913 (shortly after 5 February opening)
> **Charity Creek (North Coast)** — As the Goods Siding will not be brought into use at present, goods in truckloads must not be accepted for this place until further notice. In the meantime, only small "out-of" consignments are to be accepted for conveyance to Charity Creek, and **the aggregate weight must not exceed 30 cwt**.
>
> **Fixed signals are not yet provided**, consequently when a train carrying a Staff Ticket is required to stop at the Siding to deal with "out-of" traffic, the driver must be furnished with **written permission** to do so, and another train must not be allowed to follow until the former has been reported as having arrived complete at the Staff station in advance. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Working Instructions — Lantern and Paddle; Green Disc — 1913
> All consignments for Somerset, **Charity Creek**, Karaak Flat, Killawarra, Kolodong and State Lime Works Siding must be prepaid and consigned under platform conditions. Passengers must exhibit a **green disc by day and light the lamp at night**. Guards must ascertain if passengers wish to alight. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

> **Note on signals:** Your notes state trains were signalled to stop using **a lantern at night and a paddle by day** — the "lantern and paddle" arrangement is distinct from the "green disc" arrangement referenced in the 1913 general notice. The lantern/paddle arrangement may have been specific to the period before the Goods Siding signals were installed (pre-March 1913), or it may reflect a local variation at this specific location.

### Frame A on Platform — 1913
> **Frame "A"** situated on the Platform at Stratford, Bundook, Somerset, **Charity Creek**, Karaak Flat and Killawarra. Frame "A" secured by Guard's lock on No. 4 Lever. Frames "B" and "C" for Goods Siding (Dungog and Taree ends), unlocked by No. 5 Lever Frame "A." *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Station Brand — CCK — 1913
> **Charity Creek — CCK** — station distinguishing brand allotted. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Circular No. 13 of 1913 Issued
> **Circular No. 13 of 1913** — Charity Creek base diagram issued. Referenced in W.N. 5–1934 amendment. *(Source: 1913 and 1934 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1924 — Unattended; 7 Minutes Goods Shunting; Ganger's Telephone No. 79 Circuit

### Listed as Unattended; Goods Shunting — 1924
> **Charity Creek\*** — listed as unattended in station sequence. No. 142 Goods: Karaak Flat, 10 minutes; **Charity Creek, 7 minutes**; Bundook, 12 minutes. *(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

### Ganger's Telephone — No. 79 Circuit
> **No. 79 Telephone Circuit North** — call for Charity Creek: **(. _ . _)** — listed in telephone circuit directory. *(Source: 1924–1934 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1930 — Trains Call When Required; Goods Train Times

### Trains Call When Required — 1930
> No. 15 Mail (9.15 p.m. Sydney to Kempsey) will call at **Charity Creek** when required. No. 16 Mail (5.25 p.m. Kempsey to Sydney) will call at Charity Creek when required. *(Source: 1930 Weekly Notices)*

### Goods Train Times — 1930
> No. 149 is allowed 3 minutes **Charity Creek**, 4 minutes Karaak Flat, 3 minutes Killawarra. *(Source: 1930 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1934 — ETS Section Changed — 30 January 1934; Frames A and B Unlocked by Mount George–Kimbriki Staff

### ETS Section Changed and Frames Altered — W.N. 5–1934
> **Charity Creek (North Coast) — Altered Releasing of Ground Frames** — On and from **Tuesday, 30th January, 1934**, No. 1 lever in Frames "A" and "B" will be unlocked by key on the Miniature Electric Train Staff for the section **Mount George–Kimbriki**.
>
> **Circular No. 13 of 1913** to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 5–1934)*

> **Note:** This change was consequent on the opening of Kimbriki as an ETS and Crossing Station (Circular No. 40–3 of 1934). Prior to this date, Frames A and B at Charity Creek were released by the Mount George–Wingham staff. The section between Charity Creek and Karaak Flat also changed simultaneously from Mount George–Wingham to Kimbriki–Wingham.

---

## 1967 — Platform Reduced from 250 to 50 Feet — W.N. 29–1967

### Platform Reduced — W.N. 29–1967
> **Page 80 — Stations, Platforms and Sidings, Accommodation Provided — North Coast Line — Charity Creek.** In column headed "Length of Passenger Platform" — delete **250D** and insert **50D**. (A. 1–67–60,624.) *(W.N. 29–1967)*

> **Note:** 250 feet = 76.2 metres (original); 50 feet = 15.24 metres (reduced). The "D" suffix indicates Down side. Authorisation A.1–67–60,624 dates from 1967. The reduction of 200 feet leaves the platform at one-fifth of its original length.

---

## 1975 — Station Closed — 29 June 1975; W.N. 26–1975

### Station Closed — W.N. 26–1975
> **Page 173 — Maitland–Queensland Border** — Delete: Dingadee, Wirradgurie, Somerset, **Charity Creek**.
>
> **Page 186 — Maitland–Queensland Border Line** — Delete: Somerset, **Charity Creek** [horses and vehicles loading].
>
> Rate book code **62** — Charity Creek — deleted. *(W.N. 26–1975)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **5 February 1913** | Line opened — Charity Creek with platform, but **Goods Siding not yet in use**; truckloads refused; only "out-of" consignments ≤30 cwt; written permission required for train stops; no fixed signals yet |
| **4 March 1913** | **Goods Siding brought into use** — Frame A on platform; Frames B and C (Goods Siding ends, unlocked by No. 5 Frame A); station brand CCK; Circular No. 13 of 1913 issued; trains signalled by lantern (night) and paddle (day) |
| 1924 | Listed as unattended (\*); 7 minutes goods shunting; ganger's telephone No. 79 Circuit (. _ . _) |
| 1930 | Nos. 15 and 16 Mail call when required; 3 minutes goods train |
| **30 January 1934** | **Frames A and B released by Mount George–Kimbriki Miniature ETS** (replacing Mount George–Wingham); Circular No. 13 of 1913 amended (W.N. 5–1934) |
| **W.N. 29–1967** | **Platform reduced 250D→50D feet** (76.2m→15.24m); authorisation A.1–67–60,624 |
| **29 June 1975** | **Station closed** — deleted from Maitland–Queensland Border publications; rate code 62 deleted (W.N. 26–1975) |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1975.* 
*Note: Charity Creek is the only station on the Dungog–Taree line where the goods siding was explicitly stated as not yet in use at line opening — the 1913 notice is a remarkable document specifying maximum consignment weight (30 cwt) and requiring written permission for train stops until signals were provided. Circular No. 13 of 1913 was the base diagram from 1913 to 1934 — 21 years. The platform reduction of 200 feet in 1967 (from 250 to 50 feet) is a 80% reduction — the largest proportional reduction of any platform in the collection.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions