News:

Dedicated to the memory of Nick Pellier (1958-2016)

Main Menu

Leeville

Started by admin, February 18, 2022, 08:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Leeville, 1/7/1982 (State Archives)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Leeville - 1938 (Dorothy Sullivan)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

No. 3 Down Brisbane Express crosses the viaduct at Leeville with 3 bogie goods vans behind the loco 4427 on 7th November 1970. (George Stevens)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Leeville Railway Station

Cream Carriers from Hogarth Range and Upper Mongogarie would deliver cream to the siding three days a week to be picked up by the train and taken to the Casino Butter Factory.

The carriers would have a second team of horses, that were kept near the siding, where they would change over ready for the long haul home.
Photo from Iris Stokes, nee Akers, Lismore.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Leeville signal box was of the later type with sliding sash windows but without the fanlights above these sliding sash windows.
Small rusticated slabs have been used. RT Taaffe
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Leeville (formerly Deep Creek) (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1905–1985

---

**Type:** Station (Closed — 30 June 1974); Crossing Loop (In use) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Rappville–Leeville / Leeville–Casino sections) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 793.665 km; Moonamarie Road level crossing at **794.855 km** 
**Location:** -28.983701, 152.981611 [*note: this appears to duplicate Amarina's location — Leeville would be further north*] 
**Between:** Amarina / Coombell (south) and Shannon Brook / Casino (north) 
**Opened as DEEP CREEK:** **6 November 1905** — Grafton to Casino; Circular No. A.182 of 1 November 1905 
**Renamed LEEVILLE:** **25 October 1908** (per your notes; WN notice ref. 08–16,715) 
**Opened as Booking Station:** **1 December 1935** (W.N. 48–1935) 
**Closed as goods booking station:** **1 October 1955** — placed under control of Rappville (W.N. 41–1955; ref. B.2–55–26,814) 
**Station closed:** **30 June 1974** (per your notes; W.N. 29–1974) 
**Signal-box closed:** **1983** 
**Status:** Crossing loop in use 

### Note on Naming
**1908 WN renaming notice:** "Altered name of Deep Creek, **Lismore Line** — The name of Deep Creek has been altered to **Leeville.**" (ref. 08–16,715.) The OCR reads "Lismore Line" which may be an OCR misreading of "Grafton-Tweed Line" — the station's confirmed position between Amarina and Shannon Brook on the Grafton–Casino line is unambiguous.

### Note on 1905 Station List
The 1905 original station list shows **"Deep Creek"** and **"Platform"** as consecutive entries — suggesting either Deep Creek had a separate unnamed platform nearby, or the "Platform" listing is an artefact of the OCR layout for the same station.

### Infrastructure
**Leeville loop standing room:** **378 metres** — after 11-metre reduction W.N. 1–1985 (since 13–14 December 1984) 
**Moonamarie Road level crossing:** **794.855 km** — Type F flashing light highway signals; automatic track circuit control; emergency keys held by signalman Leeville 
**Point levers Nos. 51 and 52:** Approach locking 120 seconds 

### Automatic Staff Exchanger (1948)
**Commission date:** 23–24 June 1948 — stations Grafton to Leeville inclusive (W.N. — 1948) 
**Location:** 12 feet on **Sydney side of signal-box**; opposite signal-box 
Control Officer, South Grafton, to check if engines fitted with automatic exchangers before working 

### ETS Sections
**1950 W.N. 43–1950:** Section listings amended — delete **West Maitland–Leeville**; insert **Telarah–Leeville** (ref. A.1–50–21,509) 
**1983 CTC:** Rappville–Leeville and Leeville–Casino ETS cancelled **27 July 1983** — Broadmeadow CTC; automatic signals Rappville–Leeville commissioned 

---

## 1905 — Opened as Deep Creek — 6 November 1905

### Opening — W.N. 14–1905
> **Grafton to Casino** — Original station list: ... Camira Creek — **Kytle Creek** [Myrtle Creek] — **Deep Creek** — Platform — Wooroowoolgan — Casino. *(W.N. 14–1905)*

---

## 1908 — Renamed Leeville — W.N. — 1908 (25 October 1908)

### Renamed Leeville — W.N. — 1908
> **Altered name of Deep Creek, [Grafton-Tweed] Line** — The name of **Deep Creek** has been altered to **"Leeville."** (08–16,715.) *(W.N. — 1908)*

---

## 1924 — Unattended Platform

### Unattended Platform — W.N. — 1924
> **Leeville (P)** — listed as unattended platform in Local Appendix accommodation table. *(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1930 — Additional Signals — W.N. 35–1930 (Since 21 September 1930)

### Additional Signals — W.N. 35–1930
> **Leeville (North Coast) — Bringing into Use Additional Signals** — Since **21st September, 1930**, the following additional signals have been brought into use and are worked from the Signal-box:
> - No. 1 — Up Distant
> - No. 3 — Up Starting, Main
> - No. 5 — Up Starting, Loop to Main
> - No. 16 — Down Starting, Loop to Main
> - No. 18 — Down Starting, Main
> - No. 20 — Down Distant
>
> The Clearance posts, fixed at the fouling points of the Main and Loop lines, at the Sydney and Brisbane ends, have been removed. *(W.N. 35–1930)*

---

## 1935 — Booking Station — 1 December 1935 — W.N. 48–1935

### Booking Station — W.N. 48–1935
> **Leeville and [others] (North Coast Line) — Opening as Booking Stations for Goods and Coaching Traffic** — Since Sunday, **1st December, 1935**, [Bulliac, Melinga, Kundabung, Gurranang and] Leeville have been opened as Booking Stations for goods and coaching traffic, with a **Porter in charge** at each place. Existing Power's codes and distinguishing numbers apply. *(W.N. 48–1935)*

---

## 1943 — Casino–Leeville Section; Frame A Renamed Frame G — W.N. 32–1943

### Frame Renamed — W.N. 32–1943
> From Wednesday, 11th August, 1943, **Frame A** (construction siding) will be re-named **Frame G**, and No. 1 lever, at present unlocked by key on the Electric Train Staff for the section **Casino–Leeville**, will be unlocked by key from the **Annett lock on No. 26 lever** in Casino Signal-box. **Circular No. 431–P1 of 1937** amended. (C.T.M. 43–31,226.) *(W.N. 32–1943)*

---

## 1948 — Automatic Staff Exchangers Commissioned; Train Bars

### Automatic Staff Exchangers — W.N. — 1948 (23–24 June 1948)
> On No. 1 Express (7.40 p.m. ex Sydney) Wednesday 23rd June, and No. 2 Express (11.0 a.m. ex South Brisbane) Thursday 24th June 1948, **Automatic Staff Exchanging Apparatus** will be brought into use at stations **Grafton to Leeville inclusive**, for the purpose of exchanging Staff carried by Express, Mail or through Passenger trains when worked by 35, 36 or 38 class engines fitted with Automatic Staff Exchangers.
>
> The Control Officer, South Grafton, must satisfy himself whether engines working trains are fitted with Automatic Exchangers, and when not so fitted must advise all concerned.
>
> **Leeville exchanger location:** 12 feet on **Sydney side of signal-box**; Opposite signal-box. *(W.N. — 1948)*

### Train Bars — W.N. 40–1948 (since 30 September 1948)
> **Leeville (North Coast) — Provision of Train Bars in Lieu of Clearance Bars** — Since 30th September, 1948, the clearance bars in the Main line at Sydney and South Brisbane ends of the yard have been replaced by **train bars** fixed at the same sites, and working in conjunction with **No. 10 points** (Down Main–Loop) and **No. 9 points** (Up Main–Loop) respectively. **Circular No. 335–33 of 1936** amended. (S.&T.E. 48.) *(W.N. 40–1948)*

---

## 1950 — ETS Section Listing Amended — W.N. 43–1950

### Section Listing — W.N. 43–1950
> **North — Delete:** West Maitland–Leeville, Fairy Hill–Beaudesert Road. 
> **Insert:** **Telarah–Leeville**, Fairy Hill–Beaudesert Road. (A.1–50–21,509.) *(W.N. 43–1950)*

---

## 1955 — Closed as Goods Booking Station — 1 October 1955 — W.N. 41–1955

### Goods Station Closed — W.N. 41–1955
> **Pages 96, 104 and 105 — Leeville (North Coast Line) — Closed as a Booking Station for Goods Traffic** — On and from Saturday, **1st October, 1955**, all goods traffic to and from Leeville will be dealt with under **Siding and Platform conditions** and Leeville placed under the control of **Rappville**.
>
> Insert "*" before name of Leeville; "Rappville" in column "Controlling Station"; also "GL" in column "Goods and Livestock freight to be prepaid."
>
> **South Casino and Shannon Creek** will also be under the control of Rappville. Pages 104 and 105 to be amended accordingly. (B.2–55–26,814.) *(W.N. 41–1955)*

### Through Booking of Parcels Pamphlet — W.N. 43–1955
> **Page 55** — Insert * before **Leeville**. (C.1–55–3,622.) *(W.N. 43–1955)*

---

## 1960 — Sheep and Cattle Races Deleted — W.N. 3–1960

### Sheep and Cattle Races — W.N. 3–1960
> **Page 96 — Leeville** — Delete: "S.C." under heading Sheep and Cattle Races. (V.59–2,014–15.) *(W.N. 3–1960)*

---

## 1974 — Deleted from Tables — W.N. 29 and 30–1974

### Tables Deleted — W.N. 29–1974
> **Page 260 — List of Stations — North Coast Line** — Delete **Leeville** and relevant particulars. (B.2–74–71,071.) *(W.N. 29–1974)*

### Further Deletions — W.N. 30–1974
> **List of Stations** — Delete **Leeville** and relevant particulars. (B.2–74–71,071.) *(W.N. 30–1974)*

---

## 1983 — Motor-Operated Points — 28 March 1983; CTC — 27 July 1983

### Motor-Operated Points — W.N. 12 and 13–1983
> **Leeville (North Coast) — Conversion to Power Operation of Points and Signals** — On **Monday, 28th March, 1983**, commencing 7.00 a.m., the Main line to loop points at each end of Leeville crossing loop converted to motor operation; mechanical signals replaced by colour light signals; route control relay interlocking control panel; mechanical interlocking machine placed out of use.
>
> Low speed indication (small green light) with route indicator at Down Home and Up Home signals.
>
> ETS **Rappville–Leeville** and **Leeville–Casino** retained; automatic staff exchangers remain. Diagram — page 32 of W.N. 12–1983.
>
> **Moonamarie Road level crossing (794.855 km):** Type F flashing light highway signals and warning bell; automatic track circuit control (Down and Up trains); emergency keys held by **signalman, Leeville**.
>
> Approach locking 120 seconds. Point levers Nos. 51 and 52. (S&C 126170.) *(W.N. 12 and 13–1983)*

### CTC — 27 July 1983
> Since **27th July, 1983**, electric train staff working on the sections Camira Creek–Rappville, **Rappville–Leeville** and **Leeville–Casino** cancelled; Broadmeadow CTC. Automatic signals **Rappville–Leeville** commissioned (782.047 km, 783.297 km Down; 785.360 km, 785.001 km Up). *(W.N. 32–1983)*

---

## 1985 — Down Starting Signals Relocated — W.N. 1–1985 (Since 13–14 December 1984)

### Signals Relocated — W.N. 1–1985
> **Leeville (North Coast) — Relocation of Down Starting Signals** — Since **13th and 14th December, 1984**, Down Starting, Main, No. 11M signal together with the half pilot staff Loop No. 11L signal respectively were relocated **11 metres nearer to Sydney**.
>
> The signal indications remain unaltered. The standing room in the loop is now **378 metres**. The diagram published in Weekly Notice No. 12 of 1983 to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 1–1985)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| Pre-1905 | Search of 1901–1904 WN volumes — no pre-opening references found in OCR |
| **6 November 1905** | **Opened as Deep Creek** — Grafton to Casino; Circular No. A.182 of 1 November 1905; listed as "Deep Creek" and separately "Platform" in 1905 station list |
| **25 October 1908** | **Renamed LEEVILLE** (per your notes; WN ref. 08–16,715; OCR reads "Lismore Line" — probable misread of "Grafton-Tweed Line") |
| By 1924 | **Leeville (P)** — unattended platform |
| 1926 | Listed in No. 68 North telephone circuit between Amarina/Coombell and South Casino |
| **W.N. — 1920** | Gantry crane at Leeville (Grafton-Tweed Line) |
| **21 September 1930** | **Additional signals** brought into use — Nos. 1, 3, 5 (Up); 16, 18, 20 (Down); clearance posts removed (W.N. 35–1930) |
| **1 December 1935** | **Opened as Booking Station** — Porter in charge; goods and coaching traffic; existing Power's codes (W.N. 48–1935) |
| **W.N. 32–1943** | Casino–Leeville ETS — Frame A renamed Frame G at Casino; Annett lock No. 26 in Casino Signal-box; Circular No. 431–P1 of 1937 |
| **23–24 June 1948** | **Automatic Staff Exchangers** commissioned Grafton to Leeville inclusive — 35/36/38 class engines; exchanger 12 feet Sydney side of signal-box (W.N. — 1948) |
| **30 September 1948** | Train bars replace clearance bars — Main line at Sydney and Brisbane ends; Nos. 10 and 9 points; Circular No. 335–33 of 1936 amended (W.N. 40–1948) |
| **W.N. 43–1950** | ETS section listing — delete West Maitland–Leeville; insert **Telarah–Leeville** (ref. A.1–50–21,509) |
| **1 October 1955** | **Closed as goods booking station** — Siding and Platform conditions; control transferred to Rappville; South Casino and Shannon Creek also under Rappville (W.N. 41–1955; ref. B.2–55–26,814) |
| W.N. 3–1960 | Sheep and Cattle Races deleted |
| **30 June 1974** | **Station closed** — W.N. 29 and 30–1974 (ref. B.2–74–71,071) |
| **28 March 1983** | **Motor-operated points** — colour light signals; low speed indication; ETS Rappville–Leeville and Leeville–Casino retained; Moonamarie Road level crossing (794.855 km) Type F; approach locking 120 seconds; diagram page 32 (W.N. 12 and 13–1983; S&C 126170) |
| **27 July 1983** | **Rappville–Leeville and Leeville–Casino ETS cancelled** — Broadmeadow CTC; automatic signals Rappville–Leeville; signal-box closed (W.N. 32–1983) |
| **13–14 December 1984** | Down Starting Nos. 11M and 11L relocated 11 metres toward Sydney; standing room **378 metres** (W.N. 1–1985) |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1905–1985.* 
*Note: Leeville has one of the longer documented operational histories in the Grafton–Casino collection, spanning 1905–1983 for signalling purposes. The "Deep Creek / Platform" dual entry in the 1905 station list is intriguing — the two entries may reflect an unnamed adjacent platform (possibly at the same location as the later Amarina station) or an OCR formatting artefact. The 1930 additional signals (six new signals brought into use at once) is the largest single signal commissioning at Leeville and reflects the major upgrade from landmark-based to full mechanical signalling that occurred across the North Coast in 1930. The 1948 Automatic Staff Exchanger commissioning covered the full Grafton–Leeville section simultaneously — the southernmost point of the exchanger programme at that time. The 1955 goods closure placing South Casino and Shannon Creek simultaneously under Rappville control reflects a broader rationalisation of the Casino district.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions