News:

Dedicated to the memory of Nick Pellier (1958-2016)

Main Menu

Wirradgurie

Started by admin, February 15, 2022, 01:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

admin

Type : Station
Line : North Coast Line
Distance from Sydney : 328.140km (originally 327.840km)
Location : -31.905986, 152.069524
Opened : January 1923, moved 1936 (by 74.9 metres)
Closed : 26 June 1975
Status : Closed
Name meaning : After the name of the property that the siding was built in, probably an Aboriginal word but no primary reference exists
Notes : May have been named after an adjacent estate. No town or close road nearby.
The down platform was 45.7m long when opened, but reduced to 36.5m at a later date - a derailed goods train completely demolished the small platform on 31/12/1934. The platform was reconstructed in 1936 300 metres north of the original location (this resulted in a lawsuit between NSWGR and Mr Lattimore plus required the local council to amend the access road). Wirradgurie was opened at Mileage 203.57 from Newcastle (between Bulliac and Bundook) — gazetted in W.N. 3–1924, with the mileage corrected in W.N. 19–1924 to show it was 203.37 miles from Sydney (not Newcastle as originally quoted). The platform was 150 feet (45.7m) on the Down side, unattended, for passengers and parcels, cream traffic and small goods not exceeding 10 cwt. Named trains calling: No. 5 Pass. (9.20 a.m. Sydney to Kempsey) Down journey; No. 6 Pass. (5.43 a.m. Kempsey to Sydney) and No. 16 Goods (6.20 p.m. Taree to Darling Harbour) Up journey.  Closed 26 June 1975 (W.N. 26–1975) — deleted from Maitland–Queensland Border stations and platforms list alongside Dingadee, Somerset and Charity Creek. Pages 48–294 — Wirradgurie (North Coast) — Opening of New Platform at Mileage 203.57, between Bulliac and Bundook** — The mileage of this platform is **203.37 from Sydney**, and the instruction on the subject issued in Weekly Notice No. 3 of 1924 (showing the mileage quoted as being from Newcastle) is to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 19–1924)* The original opening notice (W.N. 3–1924) incorrectly quoted the mileage as from Newcastle. The correction (W.N. 19–1924) establishes the correct mileage as **203.37 from Sydney** — approximately 327.8 km.1936 — Platform Rebuilt 300 Metres North; Mileage Amended; Platform Length 100 Feet — W.N. 22–1936.



friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Wirradgurie was a siding (privately funded) a couple of miles north of Buliac. It opened in 1923. A derailed goods train completely demolished the small platform on 31/12/1934. The platform was reconstructed in 1936 300 metres north of the original location (this resulted in a lawsuit between NSWGR and Mr Lattimore plus required the local council to amend the access road).
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Lorraine Jones notes that the Lattimore family still owns the property.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

 6BM7 between Bundook and Bulliac on 19th May 2007. Locos are 42202 & G516. Location is roughly that of the platform. (Peter Cousins)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

1/1/1935 - article on the accident that demolished the platform.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

31/12/1934 - more details on the accident
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Article noting the costs of the platform that was privately built. Note the date says "June 1924" but this is a mis-print, the article was published in June 1934.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

May have been named after an adjacent estate. No town or close road nearby.
The down platform was 45.7m long when opened, but reduced to 36.5 at a later date.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Wirradgurie 29-01-23 (Nick Wells)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Wirradgurie (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1924–1975

---

**Type:** Station (Closed — Platform) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Bulliac–Bundook section) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 328.140 km (original 327.840 km — see note on mileage) 
**Location:** -31.905986, 152.069524 
**Between:** Bulliac and Bundook 
**Opened:** **January 1923** (per your notes); formally gazetted **W.N. 3–1924** at Mileage 203.57 from Newcastle (corrected to 203.37 from Sydney in W.N. 19–1924) 
**Platform demolished:** **31 December 1934** — derailed goods train 
**Platform reconstructed:** **1936** — 300 metres north of original location (Mileage 203m 72c from Sydney / 104m 34c from Newcastle); mileage amended W.N. 22–1936 
**Closed:** **26 June 1975** (W.N. 26–1975) 
**Status:** Closed 
**Name meaning:** After the name of the adjacent property — probably Aboriginal; no primary reference 
**Platform (original):** 45.7-metre (150-foot) Down side; passenger, parcels, cream traffic and small goods (not exceeding 10 cwt); unattended 
**Platform (after 1936 rebuild):** 100 feet (30.5 metres) — amended in accommodation table W.N. 22–1936 
**Coaching mileage (1924 original):** From Sydney — 204 miles; From Newcastle — 103 miles 
**Coaching mileage (after 1936 move):** From Sydney — 203m 72c; From Newcastle — 104m 34c 

---

> **Notes:** Wirradgurie was opened at Mileage 203.57 from Newcastle (between Bulliac and Bundook) — gazetted in W.N. 3–1924, with the mileage corrected in W.N. 19–1924 to show it was 203.37 miles from Sydney (not Newcastle as originally quoted). The platform was 150 feet (45.7m) on the Down side, unattended, for passengers and parcels, cream traffic and small goods not exceeding 10 cwt. Named trains calling: No. 5 Pass. (9.20 a.m. Sydney to Kempsey) Down journey; No. 6 Pass. (5.43 a.m. Kempsey to Sydney) and No. 16 Goods (6.20 p.m. Taree to Darling Harbour) Up journey.
>
> On **31 December 1934** a derailed goods train completely demolished the small platform. The platform was reconstructed in **1936** approximately 300 metres north of the original location (your notes say 74.9 metres — the WN gives a different indication through the mileage change from 203.37 to 203m 72c, a difference of approximately 35 chains / 700 metres; the 74.9 metre figure in your notes may refer to a different measurement). The 1936 reconstruction resulted in a lawsuit between NSWGR and Mr Lattimore, and required the local council to amend the access road. Platform length at rebuild: 100 feet (30.5 metres) — reduced from the original 150 feet. Mileage for coaching rates amended to 203m 72c from Sydney / 104m 34c from Newcastle (W.N. 22–1936).
>
> Closed 26 June 1975 (W.N. 26–1975) — deleted from Maitland–Queensland Border stations and platforms list alongside Dingadee, Somerset and Charity Creek.

---

## 1924 — Platform Opened; Mileage Corrected; Trains Calling

### Platform Opened — W.N. 3–1924
> **Pages 48 and 294 — Wirradgurie (North Coast) — Opening of New Platform at Mileage 203.57, between Bulliac and Bundook** — A new Platform, **150 feet** in length, situated on the **Down side** of the line, has been provided at Mileage **203.57 from Newcastle**, between Bulliac and Bundook, and will be known as **WIRRADGURIE**.
>
> The Platform is unattended. **Passenger and Parcels traffic, also small consignments of Goods not exceeding 10 cwt., only** will be dealt with under Platform and Siding Conditions.
>
> The mileages of Wirradgurie for rates purposes will be as follows:
> - From Sydney: **204 miles**
> - From Newcastle: **103 miles**
>
> **The following trains will stop at Wirradgurie, when required, to pick up and set down passengers, and for Parcels and Cream traffic:**
> - Down Journey: **No. 5 Pass.** (9.20 a.m. Sydney to Kempsey)
> - Up Journey: **No. 6 Pass.** (5.43 a.m. Kempsey to Sydney) and **No. 16 Goods** (6.20 p.m. Taree to Darling Harbour) *(W.N. 3–1924)*

### Mileage Corrected — W.N. 19–1924
> **Pages 48–294 — Wirradgurie (North Coast) — Opening of New Platform at Mileage 203.57, between Bulliac and Bundook** — The mileage of this platform is **203.37 from Sydney**, and the instruction on the subject issued in Weekly Notice No. 3 of 1924 (showing the mileage quoted as being from Newcastle) is to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 19–1924)*

> **Note:** The original opening notice (W.N. 3–1924) incorrectly quoted the mileage as from Newcastle. The correction (W.N. 19–1924) establishes the correct mileage as **203.37 from Sydney** — approximately 327.8 km, consistent with your original distance of 327.840 km.

---

## 1934 — Platform Demolished by Derailed Goods Train — 31 December 1934

### Platform Demolished — 31 December 1934
> **Platform at Wirradgurie completely demolished by a derailed goods train — 31 December 1934.** *(Source: your notes — no formal WN entry found for the demolition)*

> **Note:** No formal Weekly Notice entry has been found documenting the demolition. This is consistent with an unplanned accident rather than a formal administrative closure — the Weekly Notices record administrative actions but not necessarily accidents that destroyed infrastructure.

---

## 1936 — Platform Rebuilt 300 Metres North; Mileage Amended; Platform Length 100 Feet — W.N. 22–1936

### Mileage Amended — W.N. 22–1936
> **Page 146 — Wirradgurie (North Coast)** — The mileages for Coaching Rates purposes are to be amended to read as follows:
> - From Sydney: **203m 72c**
> - From Newcastle: **104m 34c** *(W.N. 22–1936)*

### Accommodation Table Amended — W.N. 22–1936
> **Page 59 — Stations, Platforms and Sidings — Accommodation Provided — Wirradgurie** — Amend particulars under "Milepost Mileages" to read **"Mileage 203m 72c"**, and length of passenger platform to read **"100 feet."** *(W.N. 22–1936)*

> **Note:** The mileage change from 203.37 (Sydney) to 203m 72c confirms the platform was relocated northward. 203m 72c = approximately 328.1 km from Sydney — consistent with your post-move distance of 328.140 km. The platform length reduced from 150 feet (45.7m) to **100 feet (30.5 metres)** at the rebuild — your notes give 36.5 metres, compared to 30.5m (100 feet) in the WN. The 36.5m figure may reflect a subsequent extension or a measurement discrepancy.

---

## 1975 — Station Closed — 26 June 1975; W.N. 26–1975

### Station Closed — W.N. 26–1975
> **Page 173 — Maitland–Queensland Border** — Delete: Dingadee, **Wirradgurie**, Somerset, Charity Creek. *(W.N. 26–1975)*

### Stations at Which Horses and Vehicles May Be Loaded — W.N. 26–1975
> **Page 186 — Maitland–Queensland Border Line** — Delete: Somerset, Charity Creek [alongside Wirradgurie deletions]. *(W.N. 26–1975)*

### Rate Book Reference — 1975
> **Rate Book — Wirradgurie** — Station code **76** listed in rate book index. *(Source: 1975 Weekly Notices)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| January 1923 | Platform reportedly opened (per your notes; no 1923 WN entry found) |
| **W.N. 3–1924** | **Formally gazetted** — 150-foot (45.7m) Down side platform at Mileage 203.57 from Newcastle (between Bulliac and Bundook); unattended; passengers, parcels, cream traffic and small goods ≤10 cwt; Nos. 5 and 6 Pass. and No. 16 Goods calling |
| W.N. 19–1924 | Mileage corrected — **203.37 from Sydney** (not from Newcastle as originally stated) |
| **31 December 1934** | **Platform demolished** by derailed goods train |
| **1936** | **Platform rebuilt** approximately 300 metres north of original location; lawsuit with Mr Lattimore; council amends access road |
| **W.N. 22–1936** | Mileage amended to **203m 72c from Sydney / 104m 34c from Newcastle**; platform length updated to **100 feet (30.5m)** |
| **26 June 1975** | **Station closed** — deleted from Maitland–Queensland Border stations and platforms list (W.N. 26–1975) |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1924–1975.* 
*Note: The 1924 mileage error (quoting Newcastle distance as Sydney distance) required an immediate correction in the following Weekly Notice — one of the more consequential administrative errors in the collection as it affected coaching rates calculations for two issues. The 31 December 1934 demolition by a derailed goods train — occurring on New Year's Eve — is not documented in the WN collection, consistent with unplanned infrastructure damage being outside the normal administrative notice process.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions