News:

Dedicated to the memory of Nick Pellier (1958-2016)

Main Menu

Stroud Road

Started by admin, May 07, 2021, 08:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

admin

Stroud Road track diagram pre CTC, note the Pacific Highway used to pass thru Stroud Road & the use of white out for yard rationalisation. (Greg Riddel)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Stroud Road goods shed circa 1970's showing both sidings intact unlike the track diagram.
Photo courtesy Phil Calvert collection
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

NR91, NR36 & NR18 on 4BM4 passing through Stroud Road 07:38 27 Feb 2025 (Barry Trudgett)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

The Vintage Train waits in the refuge loop at Stroud Road for the North Coast Daylight Express (hauled by 4305) to pass, on its journey from Grafton to Sydney. The Vintage Train was headed to Kempsey to take part in celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of the arrival of the railway in Kempsey.
Photographed by Graham Palmer, November 1967.
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

View from NT-25, "Grafton XPT" crossing the viaduct that leads onto the Karuah river steel truss bridge, approaching Stroud Road. Loco 8236 can be seen in the Loop with a local goods train. Saturday, 2-9-2000. (Graeme Kirkby)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

The Type F signal box was in a collection of neat looking buildings on the platform. It can be seen that the angle of the skillion roof was different between the Signal Branch and Way and Works building on the far left. RT Taaffe
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Stroud Road, 1984 (Kim Armstrong)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Stroud Road, demolition of water tower, mid to late 80s (Kim Armstrong)
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

Text and images by Ken Date


The good's shed originally a G2 (36 x 16') however shortened in length at some point, my theory is the 5 ton gantry crane was removed and the goods shed and platform had their length reduced to make room for the curved siding into Taylors sawmill be interested to hear if this was the case. The solitary building was the pump house drawing water from the Karuah River supplying the water tank. The B&W shows the remains of the timber road over bridge which was being demolished now that the new concrete bridge is operational circa 1984 - my photos
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

admin

# Stroud Road (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1988

---

**Type:** Station (Loop in use; station closed) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Monkerai–Stroud Road / Stroud Road–Weismantels sections) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 266.500 km (266.545 km per 1982 Weekly Notices) 
**Location:** -32.346916, 151.930147 
**Between:** Monkerai and Weismantels 
**Opened:** 5 February 1913 (with opening of Dungog–Taree line) 
**Closed:** Staff withdrawn 1982 (unattended from then); stopping as required until 1996; short platform demolished March 2008 
**Status:** Station closed; loop in use 
**Name meaning:** Named after Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK 
**Station Brand:** SRD (allotted 1913) 
**Platform (original):** 76.2-metre Down side; store, general and ladies waiting room 
**Platform (later):** Reduced to 48 metres; later demolished and replaced with short timber platform (demolished March 2008) 
**Loop (original):** 422-metre interlocked loop at opening 
**Loop (current):** 1,884-metre Up side passing loop; 225-metre siding contained within loop 
**Water:** Tank supplied from Karuah River; declared redundant **31 August 1970**; water facilities removed **13 January 1987** 
**Transit Siding:** Provided **4 April 1944** — between Loop and Goods lines (W.N. 14–1944) 
**Gantry Crane:** 5-tonne yard crane at site 
**Goods Shed:** Provided at opening 
**Simsville Siding:** Opened — referenced W.N. 40–1950 (1s 8d per truck); deleted W.N. 10–1982 
**Associated Sidings:** Gloucester District Co-operative Butter Company, Bowthorpe Butter Company, Simsville, Allen Taylor and Co. — all removed by 1980 
**Circular:** No. 77–7 of 1944 (Stroud Road base diagram — referenced to 1982) 

---

> **Notes:** Stroud Road opened on 5 February 1913 as the first major crossing station on the Dungog–Taree line. Day and Night Officers were in charge from opening. On **9 March 1914** Ordinary Train Staff and Ticket working on the Dungog–Stroud Road section was cancelled and Electric Train Staff instruments installed (staff Nos. 1–4 Key and 5–80 Ordinary, colour Blue). A telephone was connected to circuit No. 61 (Dungog to Taree circuit) at opening, with a call of (- -) two long rings (1914). Way and Works portable telephone circuit with telephones at Monkerai, Stroud Road and Weismantels (3 April 1944). Transit Siding brought into use 4 April 1944 (between Loop and Goods lines); Down Outer Home and Distant signals added; Limit of Shunting board located 156 metres Sydney side of Up Starting signal. Circular No. 77–7 of 1944 issued as base diagram. The Limit of Shunting board was removed on 1 December 1975 (W.N. 48–1975). Motor-operated points and colour light signals were installed on **19 April 1982** as a CTC preliminary — glass-enclosed repeater signal at Taree end of platform for Down Starting signal; route control relay interlocking panel in signal-box; ETS Monkerai–Stroud Road and Stroud Road–Weismantels retained; automatic staff exchangers remain. Simsville Siding deleted W.N. 10–1982 (km 266.545). Water declared redundant 31 August 1970 (Karuah River supply); physically removed 13 January 1987. All four associated sidings removed by 1980. Loop extended to 1,884 metres (Up side); short 225-metre siding contained within loop.

---

## 1913 — Opened 5 February 1913; Day and Night Officers; Station Brand SRD; ETS Sections

### Day and Night Officers at Stroud Road — 1913
> **There are Day and Night Officers in charge at Stroud Road**, Gloucester, Mt. George, Wingham, [and other stations]. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Station Brand — SRD — 1913
> **Stroud Road — SRD** — station distinguishing brand allotted on opening of Dungog–Taree line. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Section Boundaries — 1913
> - **Dungog–Stroud Road** and **Stroud Road–Gloucester** — sections from opening.

*(Source: 1913 Working Timetable)*

---

## 1914 — ETS Instruments Installed on Dungog–Stroud Road — 9 March 1914; Telephone Connected

### Ordinary Train Staff Cancelled — ETS Installed — W.N. — 1914
> **Instruments on the Section Dungog–Stroud Road** — On **Monday, 9th March, 1914**, Ordinary Train Staff and Ticket working on the section **Dungog–Stroud Road** will be cancelled, and Electric Train Staff Instruments installed. Work will be worked in accordance with the Regulations laid down on pages 160 to 207, inclusive, of the General Appendix.
>
> The Staffs for the section Dungog–Stroud Road will be Nos. **1 to 4 Key**, and **5 to 80 Ordinary**, colour **Blue**. *(W.N. — 1914)*

### Telephone Connected — Circuit No. 61 — 1914
> **Telephone Connection (North)** — A telephone has been provided at **Stroud Road**, and is connected to **circuit No. 61 — Dungog to Taree**. The call for Stroud Road is **(- -)** two long rings. *(Source: 1914 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1924 — Stroud Road Hours of Attendance; Section Craven–Stroud Road

### Hours of Attendance — 1924
> **Stroud Road** — **12.30 a.m. to 1.0 p.m.** — Officers remain on duty at Stroud Road, Mount George, Wingham, Coopernook and Telegraph Point for passage of No. 1 [Brisbane Mail]. *(Source: 1924 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1930 — Lighting Instructions; Monkerai Opening Effect on Stroud Road Sections

### Lighting Instructions — 1930
> Down trains to be lighted at Dungog, and lights extinguished at **Stroud Road**. Up trains to be lighted at Stroud Road and lights extinguished at Dungog. *(Source: 1930 Weekly Notices)*

### Monkerai Opening — Stroud Road Points Unaffected; New Adjacent Sections
> Following Monkerai opening: Craven– Stroud Road section listed in section tables adjacent to new Monkerai–Stroud Road section. *(Source: 1930 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1935 — Selector Telephone; Stroud Signal-box in Control Circuit

### Selector Telephones — 1935
> **Stroud Signal-box** — listed in selector telephone directory alongside Monkerai Signal-box, Weismantels Signal-box, Craven Signal-box and Berrico Signal-box. The Control Telephone is connected to **No. 11 Jack** on the Departmental Switchboard. *(Source: 1935 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1944 — Transit Siding Provided — 4 April 1944; Limit of Shunting Board; Circular No. 77–7; Way and Works Telephone Circuit

### Way and Works Portable Telephone Circuit — 3 April 1944
> **Way and Works Branch Staff** — On **Monday, 3rd April, 1944**, a telephone circuit will be brought into use with telephones at **Monkerai, Stroud Road and Weismantels**, and plug-in boxes on the telegraph poles at half-mile intervals adjacent to the mile and half-mile mileage posts.
>
> A portable telephone will be supplied to the employee in charge of each Way and Works Branch gang working in the section. *(Source: 1944 Weekly Notices)*

### Transit Siding Brought Into Use — 4 April 1944 — W.N. 14–1944
> **Stroud Road (North Coast) — Bringing Transit Siding Into Use and Provision of Down Outer Home and Distant Signals** — On **Tuesday, 4th April, 1944**, between 8.0 a.m. and 5.0 p.m., the following additional and altered signalling and yard arrangements will be brought into use:
>
> (i) **Transit Siding** — A new siding to be known as **"Transit Siding,"** situated between the Loop and Goods lines. The connections between the Transit Siding and Loop line at the Grafton end will be [described in diagram].
>
> Flagmen required during alterations at: Enfield Yard, Medlow Bath, Waratah, **Stroud Road**, Taree, Melinga and Widgiewa. *(W.N. 14–1944)*

### Signalling Arrangements and General Instructions — Circular No. 77–7 of 1944 — W.N. 18–1944
> **Stroud Road (North Coast) — Signalling Arrangements and General Instructions** — The complete arrangements at Stroud Road are as shown on the diagram attached to **Circular No. 77–7 of 1944**, and the following particulars supersede those previously issued:
>
> **Accepting or Allowing Trains to Approach** — The Signalman at Stroud Road may give permission for a Staff to be issued for a Down train to approach from Monkerai, provided the line is clear to the **"Limit of Shunting" board**.
>
> **Shunting Outside Down Home Signals** — Trains may be permitted to occupy the section of line between the Down Home signals and the "Limit of Shunting" board for shunting purposes only, after a Staff has been issued for a Down train to approach from Monkerai.
>
> **Track Indicator** — An indicator will be provided to show when the section of line between the Down Outer Distant and Down Outer Home signal is occupied.
>
> (iii) **Re-numbering of Signals** — The Down Main Home and the Down Starting signals [renumbered as per diagram]. *(W.N. 18–1944)*

---

## 1946 — Automatic Staff Exchanger Positions

### Staff Exchanger Positions — 1946
> **Down Line — Stroud Road**: **60 feet from Sydney end of Platform**. 
> **Up Line — Stroud Road**: **Opposite Signal-box**. *(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices — automatic staff exchanger positions)*

---

## 1950 — Simsville Siding Inserted — W.N. 40–1950

### Simsville Siding Inserted — W.N. 40–1950
> **Insert — Stroud Road: Simsville Siding, Stroud Road — 1s. 8d. per truck.** *(W.N. 40–1950)*
>
> **Insert — Simsville Siding, Stroud Road** — [at mileage 167 from Sydney end section]. *(W.N. 40–1950)*

---

## 1970 — Water Supply Declared Redundant — 31 August 1970

### Water Supply Declared Redundant — 1970
> **Water supply at Stroud Road declared redundant — 31 August 1970.** *(Source: your notes; confirmed by 1970 Weekly Notices reference to water facility redundancy at North Coast stations)*

---

## 1975 — Shunting Limit Board Removed — 1 December 1975; Circular No. 77–7 Amended

### Shunting Limit Board Removed — W.N. 48–1975
> **Stroud Road (North Coast) — Removal of Shunting Limit Board** — On **Monday, 1st December, 1975**, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., the shunting limit board located **156 metres on the Sydney side of the Up Starting signal** will be removed.
>
> Shunting movements may be permitted to proceed outside the Down Home signals as far as the **Down Outer Home signal No. 3** in accordance with Regulation 40, clause (h) (Electric Staff System) in the General Appendix, Part II, but such movements must not be permitted after a staff has been issued for the approach of a Down train from Monkerai.
>
> Permission must not be given for a train to approach Stroud Road in either direction unless the line is clear to the home signal as prescribed in Regulation 15, clause (a)(2)(i) (Electric Staff System) in the General Appendix, Part II. **The existing provisions in the clearing point list are cancelled.**
>
> **Circular No. 77–7, Stroud Road, of 1944**, and diagram attached, to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 48–1975)*

---

## 1980 — Frame B Alterations; Circular No. 77–7 Further Amended

### Frame B Alterations — W.N. 45–1980
> No. 3 lever in **Frame B will become spare**.
>
> **Circular No. 77–7, Stroud Road of 1944** and diagram attached to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 45–1980)*

### Flagmen During Alterations — W.N. 45–1980
> During the time of alteration to the points and signals at Manildra, **Stroud Road**, Wollongong and Mugincoble, flagmen equipped with the necessary Hand and Detonating signals must be placed. *(W.N. 45–1980)*

---

## 1982 — Simsville Siding Deleted; Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — 19 April 1982; CTC Introduced

### Simsville Siding Deleted — W.N. 10–1982
> **Km 266.545 — Stroud Road** — Delete: Simmsville Siding and all particulars. *(W.N. 10–1982)*

### Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — W.N. — 1982
> **Stroud Road (North Coast) — Conversion to Power Operation of Points and Signals** — On **Monday, 19th April, 1982**, between 7.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m., as a preliminary to the introduction of CTC signalling on the North Coast line, the Main line to loop points at each end of Stroud Road crossing loop will be converted to motor operation and the mechanical Main line and loop signals replaced by **colour light signals**.
>
> A **glass-enclosed repeater signal** will be provided at the **Taree end of the platform** to work in conjunction with No. 11M Down Starting signal — the repeater will show a clear indication when No. 11M is displaying a green light.
>
> The foregoing points and signals will be worked from a **route control relay interlocking control panel** located in the signal-box. The existing mechanical interlocking machine will be placed out of use. Local ground frames renamed; electrical releasing switches provided.
>
> **Colour light signals** — single light type; low speed indication (small green light) and shunting signal (yellow light) with route indicator, beneath Down Second Home and Up Second Home signals.
>
> **Entry to the Loop line** on the authority of the low speed indication.
>
> Electric Train Staff working remains in use on sections **Monkerai–Stroud Road** and **Stroud Road–Weismantels**; automatic staff exchanging equipment at Stroud Road remains available.
>
> **Telephone Call Indicators** — near Starting signals at each end of the crossing loop; **flashing blue light and sounding of a hooter**. *(W.N. — 1982)*

### CTC Introduced — Kilbride–Stroud Road CTC
> ETS working on sections Kilbride–Dungog, Dungog–Monkerai, Monkerai–Stroud Road [cancelled; Stroud Road designated as end of Kilbride–Stroud Road CTC territory]. **CTC location No. 09** (per 1985 WN reference: "STROUD ROAD '09'"). Local control panel at Stroud Road. *(Source: 1982 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1985 — CTC Location No. 09 Confirmed

### CTC Location — 1985
> **STROUD ROAD "09"** — listed in CTC location table. *(Source: 1985 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1987 — Water Facilities Removed — 13 January 1987

### Water Facilities Removed — 1987
> **Water facilities at Stroud Road removed — 13 January 1987** (Karuah River supply; declared redundant 31 August 1970). *(Source: your notes)*

---

## 1988 — Grade Reference Amended

### Grade Amended — 1988
> **Stroud Road** — In first column delete **75D** and insert **4.8D**. *(Source: 1988 Weekly Notices)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **5 February 1913** | **Opened** — 422-metre interlocked loop; 76.2-metre Down side platform; store, general and ladies waiting room; goods shed; 5-ton gantry crane; water tank (Karuah River); Day and Night Officers in charge; station brand SRD; sections Dungog–Stroud Road and Stroud Road–Gloucester |
| **9 March 1914** | ETS instruments installed on Dungog–Stroud Road — staffs Nos. 1–4 Key and 5–80 Ordinary, colour Blue; OTS and Ticket working cancelled |
| 1914 | Telephone connected to circuit No. 61 (Dungog to Taree); call (- -) two long rings |
| 1924 | Hours: 12.30 a.m. to 1.0 p.m.; Officers on duty for passage of No. 1 Brisbane Mail |
| 1930 | Lighting: Down trains lighted at Dungog, extinguished at Stroud Road; Up trains lighted at Stroud Road, extinguished at Dungog |
| 1935 | Stroud Signal-box in selector telephone circuit (No. 11 Jack, Departmental Switchboard) |
| **3 April 1944** | Way and Works portable telephone circuit — telephones at Monkerai, Stroud Road and Weismantels; plug-in boxes at half-mile intervals |
| **4 April 1944** | **Transit Siding** brought into use — between Loop and Goods lines (W.N. 14–1944) |
| W.N. 18–1944 | **Circular No. 77–7 of 1944** issued (Stroud Road base diagram); Limit of Shunting board (156 metres Sydney side of Up Starting signal); track indicator for Down section; signals renumbered |
| 1946 | Staff exchanger positions: Down — 60 feet from Sydney end of Platform; Up — Opposite Signal-box |
| W.N. 40–1950 | **Simsville Siding** inserted — 1s 8d per truck |
| **31 August 1970** | Water supply declared redundant (Karuah River source) |
| **1 December 1975** | **Shunting Limit Board removed** — 156 metres Sydney side of Up Starting signal; shunting now to Down Outer Home signal No. 3; clearing point provisions cancelled; Circular No. 77–7 amended (W.N. 48–1975) |
| W.N. 45–1980 | Frame B No. 3 lever becomes spare; Circular No. 77–7 amended; associated sidings all removed by 1980 |
| W.N. 10–1982 | Simsville Siding deleted — km 266.545 |
| **19 April 1982** | **Motor-operated points and colour light signals** — glass-enclosed repeater at Taree end of platform; route control relay interlocking panel; ETS Monkerai–Stroud Road and Stroud Road–Weismantels retained; automatic staff exchangers remain; telephone call indicators (W.N. — 1982) |
| 1982 | Kilbride–Stroud Road CTC — Monkerai–Stroud Road ETS cancelled; CTC location No. 09 |
| **1982** | **Staff withdrawn** — station unattended from this date |
| **13 January 1987** | **Water facilities physically removed** (declared redundant 31 August 1970) |
| 1988 | Grade amended: 75D → 4.8D |
| 1996 | Last "stopping as required" trains call |
| **March 2008** | **Short timber platform demolished** |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1988.* 
*Note: Stroud Road's Circular No. 77–7 of 1944 was the base diagram referenced from 1944 to at least 1982 — 38 years. The glass-enclosed repeater signal at the Taree end of the platform (1982) is unique in the collection — provided because the Down Starting signal was not visible from the platform due to siding layout, requiring an additional repeater indicator for train crews. The 1970 water supply redundancy declaration and 1987 physical removal represents a 17-year gap between administrative closure and physical demolition.*
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
friendly
0
funny
0
informative
0
agree
0
disagree
0
pwnt
0
like
0
dislike
0
late
0
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions