Type : Station
Line : Main Line
Distance from Hobart : 014.200km
Opened : 1890
Closed : 1974
Status : Closed
Name meaning : It is named after Claremont House, which was built in the 1830s by local settler Henry Bilton, who named it after one of the royal homes of England.
Notes : Branch for Cadbury Branch. Although Claremont Station has been demolished, several surrounding buildings including the Gatekeepeer's cottage and the Station Master's house (constructed in 1915) survive. The station was demolished for the creation of the Claremont Village Shopping Centre. The station had passenger facilities only and the majority of suburban services terminated here (although a select few went further to Brighton Junction). The station was an island platform and this was also the end of double line running with the line becoming single only after this station. In 1981 the platform building was relocated to a property on the East Coast.
Looking over the site of the one-time station (Aug 2023, Google)
Location - LISTmap
Claremont in 1960, from the collection of Dr J W F Scrimgeour
Claremont signal box in 1960, from the collection of Dr J W F Scrimgeour
M3 heads a Tasmanian Transport Museum Society excursion to New Norfolk at Claremont station. Ted Lidster photo
XA2 + Y2 + Y4 Log, Claremont
Track machine and XA5 at Claremont. Peter Fell photo
Two-car unit made up from small DP cars (11-14) pause at Claremont working no. 56, the 2:15pm to New Norfolk.
At right are DP16 and a PT trailer - the DP broke a power bogie axle and was marooned here after the bogie was removed for repairs. Late 1960's. Ted Lidster photo
Inspectors Moke at Claremont. Ted Lidster photo
Returning ANZACs arrive at Claremont station. C P Ray photo
Gala day at Claremont with a suburban train at Claremont station. G E Rowland photo (17/11/21)
Claremont Railway station. 1981 the building was relocated to the East Coast of Tasmania shortly after. D Hewitt photo
Returning ANZACs arrive at Claremont station. C P Ray photo
Recruits from Claremont Camp await returning ANZACs at Claremont station. C P Ray photo (28/11/1918)
A standard railcar set on a down suburban at Claremont station. Note second set at right, one unit being on a temporary bogie
David Lidster photo
Claremont, 1967 (State Library of Tasmania)
Suburban railmotor arriving at Claremont station 1970s Photographer unknown picture from the AHRS
RAILWAY STAFF CLAREMONT.
Back - H. Littlejohn. A. J. Taylor.
Front row - R. A. Moore, J. Fleming (stationmaster) and T. Barnes.
In front - Lance Corporal McCrea (transport)
(Sue Guinan)