Lansdowne River Siding, Langley Vale
Type : Siding
Line : North Coast Line
Distance from Sydney : 399.719km
Location : -31.795953, 152.566742
Opened : 12th December 1915, sawmill siding 28th October 1929
Closed : 1956 (siding removed 1971, formally closed 17/11/1970)
Status : Closed
Name meaning : Named after a local landowner Langley and his wife (maiden name Vale) (same as Langley Vale)
Notes : Public Works built a wharf at the location during construction of the line, Langley Vale Sawmill used the wharf and the siding (and had a small branch siding to their sawmill), a loop line was added in 1919. A planned siding from the mill to the wharf in 1928 never eventuated. Points at 399.290km. Public Works Wharf was built for the construction of the North Coast line so the siding may have existed prior to the line opening. The formation of the siding can still be made out as can the formation for the trolley line (from the wharf to Langley Vale station) and remnants of the government wharf. Langley Vale Wharf Siding opened 12 December 1915 on the Up side of the Main line, extending 440 yards to a Wharf on the Lansdowne River. The grade from Main line to Wharf was falling (1 in 66 to 1 in 93) — all movements propelled toward the wharf with hand-brakes on the five leading vehicles and Guard riding on the leading vehicle; hauled from wharf with Guard riding on rear vehicle. Not more than 10 four-wheeled vehicles at one time. The Main line at the siding was on a grade of 1 in 220 falling toward Coopernook, with points facing Down trains — worked on Up journey only. A Loop Line was added in 1919, increasing goods shunting times substantially — the 1920 WN notes revised instructions for the siding. In 1924 30 minutes goods shunting was allowed; in later years the shunting time was 25–30 minutes. The Sawmill Siding opened on 28 October 1929 as a Dead-end connected to the Wharf Siding, with a Stop Board 60 feet from the Wharf Siding points beyond which Departmental engines must not proceed. The Langley Vale Mill Siding (the combined facility) was controlled from Melinga and listed under Melinga in shunting charges. Traffic for Langley Vale could be accepted for consignee James M. Muir, Langley Vale (from 1935). The Langley Vale Mill Siding was placed out of use in 1970 (W.N. 28–1970) and all references deleted (W.N. 50–1970). The Sawmill Siding's Frame A and 2A points at Mileage 248m 30c were formally abolished on **17 November 1970** (W.N. 48–1970). All remaining references to Langley Vale deleted from Merchandise and Livestock Rates Book (W.N. 50–1970) and accommodation tables (W.N. 26–1975).
SS Cooloon loading sleepers at the sleeper wharf, 6 chains (120 m) from the mill wharf on the Lansdowne River
Langley Vale timber mill, the children are standing in front of the siding line (Lynette Ward)