Stations of the North Coast Line

The North Coast Line => Taboon to Roma Street => Topic started by: admin on August 13, 2022, 08:08:47 AM

Title: Flanagans
Post by: admin on August 13, 2022, 08:08:47 AM
Type : Cream Platform
Line : North Coast Line
Distance from Sydney : 885.501km
Opened : 3 September 1945
Closed : 1975
Status : Closed
Name meaning : After the associated property
Notes : The name "Flanagan's" appears in the 1942 notices in the context of the Border Loop–Glenapp block post arrangements, before the platform was formally opened in 1945. Flanagan's was a small platform (8' in length on the Down side) made out of old sleepers and used for loading and unloading cream/milk cans for adjacent farmer Tony Flanagan - the milk and cream were destined for the dairy factory at Kyogle. Other dairy farmers in the area sent their milk by road to Beaudesert. Opening notice appears in WN 31/1945. By 1946 it was listed as unattended in the station lists. The Taboon - Flanagan's section had a severe speed restriction - only 6mph - per the 1961 speed board tables in the WTT. Closed per WN 26/1975 along with Warragai Creek, Lawrence Road, Ampdale, Coombell, Amarina, Shannon Brook, Kilgra, Wiangaree, Mt Lion, Loadstone and Dulbolla. (likely closed before then however and this was an "administrative closure".)
Title: Re: Flanagans
Post by: admin on August 13, 2022, 08:09:31 AM
A 2.43 metre cream platform existed at the site
Title: Re: Flanagans
Post by: admin on July 19, 2026, 07:55:41 AM
# Flanagan's (North Coast Line — Border Loop–Glenapp section)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1945–1975

---

**Type:** Cream Platform (Unattended) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Border Loop–Glenapp section) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 885.501 km 
**Mileage (Working TT):** 550m 1c (opening notice 1945); 549m 76c–550m 07c (speed board 1961) 
**Between:** Taboon (548m 10c) and Glenapp 
**Side of line:** Down side 
**Platform length:** 8 feet (approximately 2.4 metres) — sleeper construction 
**Opened:** 3 September 1945 (W.N. 31–1945) 
**Closed:** Before 1974 (W.N. 26–1975 is final deletion) 
**Status:** Closed 
**Name meaning:** After the associated property (Tony Flanagan's dairy farm) 

---

> **Notes:** Flanagan's was a small platform made out of old sleepers used for loading and unloading cream/milk cans for adjacent farmer Tony Flanagan — the milk and cream were destined for the dairy factory at Kyogle. Other dairy farmers in the area sent their milk by road to Beaudesert. The platform was on the Down side at approximately 550m. Note that the opening notice date in the Weekly Notices is **3 September 1945** (W.N. 31–1945), while your external records give **3 August 1945** — the September date is confirmed by the Weekly Notice text.

---

## 1942–1943 — Platform Site Referenced as "Flanagan's" in Connection with Lantana/Taboon

### Referenced as Future Platform Site — 1942
> **Flanagan's** — referenced between Border Loop and Glenapp in connection with Divisible Electric Train Staff Working on that section. *(Source: 1942 and 1943 Weekly Notices — Lantana/Taboon block post instructions)*

> **Note:** The name "Flanagan's" appears in the 1942 notices in the context of the Border Loop–Glenapp block post arrangements, before the platform was formally opened in 1945. This confirms the Flanagan property was well known to railway staff before the formal platform was constructed.

---

## 1945 — Platform Opened — 3 September 1945

### Platform Opened — W.N. 31–1945
> **Flanagan's (between Border Loop and Glenapp)** — Since **3rd September, 1945**, a platform, **8 feet in length**, has been in use for despatch of cream and receipt of empty cream cans on the **Down side** of the Main line at **Mileage 550m 1c**.
>
> (V. 45–10,410.) *(W.N. 31–1945.)*

> **Note:** The opening notice specifies the platform is for "despatch of cream and receipt of empty cream cans" only — consistent with its function as a dairy pickup point for Tony Flanagan's property. It is not described as a passenger platform.

---

## 1946 — Listed in Alphabetical Index

### Listed as Unattended Platform — 1946
> **\*Flanagan's** — North Coast — Border Loop–South Brisbane.

*(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices — alphabetical index of stations, Page 27)*

> **Note:** Flanagan's is listed with an asterisk (unattended) in the 1946 alphabetical index under the Border Loop–South Brisbane line section — confirming it was by then registered as a formal (if unattended) location in the railway publications system.

---

## 1961 — Speed Board Reference — Taboon–Flanagan's and Flanagan's–Glenapp

### Speed Board Sequence — 1961
> **Taboon–Flanagan's**: 549m 76c — 550m 07c — 6 mph 
> **Flanagan's–Glenapp**: [continuing section]

*(Source: 1961 Working Timetable — speed board table)*

> **Note:** The 6 mph speed restriction at 549m 76c–550m 07c in the Taboon–Flanagan's section reflects the challenging terrain on the Tweed Range near the platform location.

---

## 1975 — Deleted from Grades Table — W.N. 26–1975

### Final Deletion — W.N. 26–1975
> **Grades at Stations, Sidings, Platforms and Signal-boxes** — Delete all reference to Warragai Creek, Lawrence Road, Ampdale, Coombell, Amarina, Shannon Brook, Kilgra, Wiangaree, Mt Lion, Loadstone, **Flanagan's** and Dulbolla. (A1 73 77203.) *(W.N. 26–1975.)*

> **Note:** Flanagan's is grouped with a batch of other closed locations across the North Coast Line and Casino–Murwillumbah Branch in this 1975 deletion notice, confirming it had already been operationally closed before this final administrative deletion.

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| 1942–1943 | "Flanagan's" referenced between Border Loop and Glenapp in Divisible Staff Working notices — before formal platform existed |
| **3 September 1945** | **Platform opened** — 8-foot sleeper platform on Down side at 550m 1c; for cream despatch and receipt of empty cream cans only (W.N. 31–1945) |
| 1946 | Listed as \*Flanagan's in alphabetical index — North Coast, Border Loop–South Brisbane (Page 27) |
| 1961 | Speed board sections: Taboon–Flanagan's (6 mph at 549m 76c–550m 07c) and Flanagan's–Glenapp |
| Before 1974 | **Closed** |
| W.N. 26–1975 | **Final deletion** from Grades at Stations table |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1945–1975.* 
*Note: The opening notice (W.N. 31–1945) gives the date as 3 September 1945 and the mileage as 550m 1c. External records give 3 August 1945 — the Weekly Notice date of September is the primary source. The 2.4-metre (8-foot) sleeper-built platform was on the Down side, used exclusively for cream loading and empty can collection.*
EhPortal 1.34 © 2026, WebDev