Stations of the North Coast Line

The North Coast Line => Tugrabakh to Taree => Topic started by: admin on February 13, 2022, 12:25:40 PM

Title: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 13, 2022, 12:25:40 PM
Type : Station
Line : North Coast Line
Distance from Sydney : 334.492km
Location : -31.893066, 152.125053
Opened : 5 February 1912 (construction name was Koccobaa)
Closed : 30 April 1978
Status : Open (loop only)
Name meaning : The name came from a local pastoralist, W C Bundock
Notes : The 76.2 metre long platform and timbedr station were on the Down side. There is no town nearby. 28/7/1942 a 429 metre interlocked crossing loop was added. 17/7/1978 - the station building was closed after passenger services ended some three months prior. 22/12/1981 - goods siding removed. 15/10/1985 platform and station demolished. A short 426 metre loop siding remains at the site. On **29 July 1942** Bundook was opened as an Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station — Bulliac–Mount George cancelled; Bulliac–Bundook (Type A, 1–50 Ordinary) and Bundook–Mount George (Type C, 1–8 Key, 9–50 Ordinary) created. The loop was on the Down side (opposite from Bulliac's loop). Opening and closing keys were provided, with the key not in use kept by the District Assistant Engineer, Signal and Telegraph Branch, South Grafton. Passenger/Mixed trains could not cross at Bundook — only goods trains crossing. The goods train had to go in the Goods Siding; passenger/mixed trains proceeded on the Main line. Selector telephone "Bundook" added (1942). Opened as Booking Station from 1 August 1942. Closed as booking station **30 April 1978** — station designated (P). Signal electrician's district boundary: Dungog — Telarah to Bundook (staff instrument on Bulliac side) and Microwave installations; Taree — Bundook (exclusive of staff instrument on Bulliac side) to Kundabung. Goods siding abolished **22 February 1981** — Frames B and C removed; Circular No. 125–15 of 1943 amended (W.N. 8–1981); standing room (38 trucks) deleted (W.N. 19–1981). Motor-operated points and colour light signals installed **7 June 1982** — route control relay interlocking panel; low speed indications; telephone call indicators; ETS Bulliac–Bundook and Bundook–Mount George retained. Platform and station demolished **15 October 1985**. 1942 — Crossing Loop Opened — 29 July 1942; Booking Station from 1 August 1942. Closed as Booking Station — W.N. 14–1978. On **Sunday, 22nd February, 1981**, between 8.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m., the connections to the Goods Siding operated by **Frames B and C and associated equipment** will be removed and the Goods Siding abolished.
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 13, 2022, 12:25:54 PM

Lorraine Jones:


Caught the UP North Coast Mail here many times going back to Sydney after a weekend at home - what happened on the train must stay on the train!
You always had to expect the unexpected from the card game 500 being expanded to 5000 with opening bids restricted to 8 or higher; if no-one made a bid, the game became "8 no trumps" and you were credited with the number of tricks you won.
Certainly made the long trip pass faster. Long weekends were the worst time as the carriages were always packed and finding a free seat was difficult and sometimes impossible until the train stopped at Broadmeadow and the Newcastle passengers got off the train.
There was never a chance to get the highly valued luggage racks above the seats in a compartment as a sleeping place let alone the longer racks in the middle door vestibule.
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 16, 2022, 08:37:52 AM
Bundook, undated
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 16, 2022, 08:39:36 AM
Location and length of Bundook Station platform in the halcyon daysof the North Coast Line. (Lorraine Jones)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 16, 2022, 08:40:19 AM
6422 passes through the location of Bundook, the station was on the curve (Stephen Joseph Miller)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 16, 2022, 08:40:59 AM
Location of Bundook station (Six Maps)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 16, 2022, 08:41:49 AM
Bundook, undated
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 16, 2022, 08:55:05 AM
Bundook 1982 (uncredited)



Lorraine Jones:


Taken from the eastern end of the platform looking back towards Doon-Ayre and further to Gloucester.
Late winter afternoon photo from the shadows and paddock condition - Bundook village is on the LHS of the tracks.



John Treuren:


looking for clues to see if Bundook changed to CTC by then....


Lorraine Jones:


John, I suspect it would have been at the same time as Gloucester, Bulliac, Mt George, Wingham and Taree which were the main crossing loops.
I think it would be safe to assume this block would have been switched over in its entirety.
However, as always, I could be mistaken.......🤔


John Treuren:


Lorraine Jones I figured, and someone may want to correct me, CTC installation a progressive thing - 1st stage, convert loops to colour light signals and motor points but keeping the Electric staff, second stage - converting the sections to 'track block' and decommissioning the ES, third stage - converting all that to remote control. so, say one week Craven 1st stage conversion,the next week Gloucester 1st stage conversion, week after that Yumbunga 1st stage conversion with Craven- Gloucester section converted to track block....
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on February 16, 2022, 08:56:19 AM
Location of the one-time Bundook Station near Gloucester - it closed in 1978 (RailCorp)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on August 24, 2022, 10:05:15 AM
A view from NT-25, "Grafton XPT" as it drops down the 1 in 80 grade approaching Bundook where NT-2, "Brisbane XPT" with XP-2000 (in 2000 Olympic Games colours) waits in the Loop. A timber overbridge for the Belbora Creek road spans the line. Afternoon of 6-1-1997. (Graeme Kirkby)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on November 07, 2022, 02:46:29 PM
5902 plus 5901 head away from Bundook towards Gloucester on a much photographed Up Goods (at least on that day) on 22nd December 1968 (George Stevens)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on November 29, 2022, 02:21:30 PM
Leyland Comet MO-3561 near the North Coast Railway Line at Bundook 24th February 1974 (John Ward)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on December 24, 2022, 07:34:04 AM
5912 with #576 goods at Bundook, 1/12/1968 (R Gillard)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on December 31, 2022, 07:49:47 AM
Graeme Kirkby

Pictured at Bundook, looking back from the leading power unit to the rear of train. 4-55pm on Friday, 29-4-1994. NT-25, the "Grafton XPT" stands in the Loop waiting the passing of NT-2, "Brisbane XPT".
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on January 07, 2023, 10:00:12 AM
Grafton bound XPT crosses the southbound Sydney XPT at Bundook, 1/5/2007 (Adam Serena)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on January 07, 2023, 10:04:06 AM
XP2009-XP2015 NT26 XPT Bundook Sun 10-11-96 (Dave Porter)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on January 09, 2023, 04:42:03 PM
Bundook, 1981
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on January 09, 2023, 04:44:04 PM
518 Up Goods at Bundook, 12/12/1968 (John Ward)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on January 09, 2023, 04:45:11 PM
Tour train at Bundook, 25/9/1966 (Grunbach)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on September 15, 2023, 10:22:54 AM
Bundook (undated) (State Archives)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on November 13, 2023, 12:24:56 PM
NT36 XPT leaving Bundook loop 18.2.07 - photo courtesy Justin Moy.
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on March 08, 2024, 07:59:16 AM
View from NT-36, Up "Grafton XPT", about to enter the Loop at Bundook to cross NT-33, the Down "Casino XPT".  11-50am on Wednesday, 2-11-2011. (Graeme Kirkby)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on March 08, 2024, 07:59:50 AM
Pete Miller at Bundook, 1979
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on September 17, 2024, 06:59:19 AM
5902 leading 5901 starts away from Bundook after having been put away with an Up Goods, on 22nd December 1968. one of many steam hauled goods out of Taree over a period around this time, used to shift tonnage that had accumulated. (George Stevens)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on May 25, 2025, 07:23:50 AM
NT-36 at right, waits in the Loop at Bundook as NT-33 on the "Casino XPT" fast approaches. 12-3pm, Saturday, 18-8-2007. (Graeme Kirkby)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on December 21, 2025, 06:28:37 AM
5902 + 5901 approach Bundook crossing Loop on an Up Goods during the short period in late 1968 when steam was used to move traffic off the North Coast Line south of Taree to the delight of fans from far and wide who had never seen regular steam on the North Coast line, 22nd December 1968. (George Stevens)
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on January 12, 2026, 10:55:33 AM
A Type P signal box constructed for a wartime crossing loop. The building was longer than normal to accommodate a ticket window at the far end. RT Taaffe
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on January 12, 2026, 10:56:59 AM
A rather cramped internals of the signal box. The rear sash can be observed as applied to some examples of the Type P design of signal box. In this instance the staff instruments are at opposite ends of the signal box. RT Taaffe
Title: Re: Bundook
Post by: admin on July 27, 2026, 08:36:46 AM
# Bundook (North Coast Line)
## Entries from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1985

---

**Type:** Station (Closed) / Crossing Loop (in use — short loop siding) 
**Line:** North Coast Line (Bulliac–Bundook / Bundook–Mount George sections) 
**Distance from Sydney:** 334.492 km 
**Location:** -31.893066, 152.125053 
**Between:** Bulliac and Mount George 
**Construction name:** Koccobaa 
**Opened:** 5 February 1913 (Dungog–Taree line opening) 
**Crossing Loop opened:** **29 July 1942** — 429-metre interlocked loop; Bulliac–Mount George section cancelled; Bulliac–Bundook (Type A) and Bundook–Mount George (Type C) created (W.N. 30 and 34–1942) 
**Booking Station:** From **1 August 1942** (W.N. 31–1942) 
**Station closed as booking station:** **30 April 1978** (W.N. 14–1978) — designated (P) 
**Station building closed:** **17 July 1978** 
**Goods siding abolished:** **22 February 1981** (W.N. 8–1981 — Frames B and C removed; originally W.N. gives Sunday 22nd February 1981) 
**Platform and station demolished:** **15 October 1985** 
**Status:** Open (short 426-metre loop siding) 
**Name meaning:** After pastoralist W.C. Bundock — spelling altered from Bundock to Bundook 
**Station Brand:** BDH (allotted 1913) 
**Platform:** 76.2-metre Down side; timber station building; no nearby town 
**Circular:** No. 125–15 of 1943 (Bundook base diagram — referenced to 1981) 

---

> **Notes:** Bundook opened on 5 February 1913 with the standard Dungog–Taree line arrangement — Frame A on the platform; Frames B and C for the Goods Siding (Dungog and Taree ends), unlocked by No. 5 Lever Frame A; Fixed Signals in "All Right" normal position. Station brand BDH.
>
> On **29 July 1942** Bundook was opened as an Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station — Bulliac–Mount George cancelled; Bulliac–Bundook (Type A, 1–50 Ordinary) and Bundook–Mount George (Type C, 1–8 Key, 9–50 Ordinary) created. The loop was on the Down side (opposite from Bulliac's loop). Opening and closing keys were provided, with the key not in use kept by the District Assistant Engineer, Signal and Telegraph Branch, South Grafton. Passenger/Mixed trains could not cross at Bundook — only goods trains crossing. The goods train had to go in the Goods Siding; passenger/mixed trains proceeded on the Main line. Selector telephone "Bundook" added (1942). Opened as Booking Station from 1 August 1942.
>
> Staff exchanger positions (1946): Down Line — 27 feet from Sydney end of Platform; Up Line — Opposite Signal-box. Down Inner Distant Signal provision — 24 March 1945 (W.N. 12 and 13–1945, published twice). Down Outer Distant Signal post renewed — 1 December 1955 (W.N. 47–1955). Hours of attendance (1975): 12.1 a.m. to 7.0 a.m.; 11.0 p.m. to midnight — night shift only, for mail train crossings.
>
> Closed as booking station **30 April 1978** — station designated (P). Signal electrician's district boundary: Dungog — Telarah to Bundook (staff instrument on Bulliac side) and Microwave installations; Taree — Bundook (exclusive of staff instrument on Bulliac side) to Kundabung. Goods siding abolished **22 February 1981** — Frames B and C removed; Circular No. 125–15 of 1943 amended (W.N. 8–1981); standing room (38 trucks) deleted (W.N. 19–1981). Motor-operated points and colour light signals installed **7 June 1982** — route control relay interlocking panel; low speed indications; telephone call indicators; ETS Bulliac–Bundook and Bundook–Mount George retained. Platform and station demolished **15 October 1985**.

---

## 1913 — Opened; Station Brand BDH; Frame A on Platform; Goods Shunting

### Station Brand — BDH — 1913
> **Bundook — BDH** — station distinguishing brand allotted. *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Frame A on Platform — 1913
> **Frame "A"** situated on the Platform at Stratford, **Bundook**, Somerset, Charity Creek, Karaak Flat and Killawarra. Frame "A" secured by Guard's lock on No. 4 Lever. Frames "B" and "C" worked from Goods Siding at Dungog and Taree ends; unlocked by No. 5 Lever in Frame "A." *(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

### Goods Shunting Times — 1913
> - No. [—] Goods: **Bundook, 10 minutes**; Bulliac, 30; Stratford, 15
> - No. 76a Stock: **10 minutes at Karaak Flat** and **10 minutes at Bundook**

*(Source: 1913 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1942 — Crossing Loop Opened — 29 July 1942; Booking Station from 1 August 1942

### Crossing Loop Opened — W.N. 30–1942 and W.N. 34–1942
> **Bundook (North Coast) — Opening as Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station** — On **Wednesday, 29th July, 1942**, Bundook will be brought into use as an Electric Train Staff and Crossing Station. The existing Electric Train Staff section **"Bulliac–Mt. George"** will be cancelled and new sections brought into use:
>
> - **Bulliac–Bundook**: E.T.S. Type **A**; Staffs Nos. 1–50 Ordinary
> - **Bundook–Mt. George**: E.T.S. Type **C**; Staffs Nos. 1–8 Key, 9–50 Ordinary *(W.N. 34–1942)*

### Opening and Closing Keys; Crossing Restrictions — W.N. 30–1942
> Signalling arrangements enable Bundook to be **"opened" or "closed" as required**.
>
> Opening and closing keys provided; the key not in use kept by the **District Assistant Engineer, Signal and Telegraph Branch, South Grafton**.
>
> **Two Passenger or two Mixed trains, or a Passenger and a Mixed train, must not be allowed to cross at Bundook.** A Passenger or Mixed train may cross a Goods train. When a Goods train crosses a Passenger or Mixed train — **Goods train must be placed in the Goods Siding; Passenger/Mixed train proceeds on Main line**. A Goods train must not be despatched to Bundook to cross another train unless there is sufficient room in the Goods Siding to accommodate it. *(W.N. 30–1942)*

### Selector Telephone Added — 1942
> **Add "Bundook"** to list of selector telephones. *(Source: 1942 Weekly Notices)*

### Opened as Booking Station — 1 August 1942 — W.N. 31–1942
> **Page 154 — Bundook — Opening as Booking Station** — Delete "(P)" — station will be opened as Booking Station on and from **1st August, 1942**. Delete "Att" in column "Designation of Person in Charge" and insert "N.O." in lieu. *(W.N. 31–1942)*

---

## 1945 — Down Inner Distant Signal Provided — 24 March 1945

### Down Inner Distant Signal — W.N. 12 and 13–1945 (published twice)
> **Bundook (North Coast) — Provision of Down Inner Distant Signal** — On **Wednesday, 24th March, 1945**, a new Down Inner Distant signal will be provided. Flagmen required during alterations. *(W.N. 12 and 13–1945)*

---

## 1946 — Staff Exchanger Positions

### Staff Exchanger Positions — 1946
> **Down Line — Bundook**: **27 feet from Sydney end of Platform**. 
> **Up Line — Bundook**: **Opposite Signal-box**. *(Source: 1946 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1955 — Down Outer Distant Signal Post Renewed — 1 December 1955

### Signal Post Renewed — W.N. 47–1955
> **Bundook (North Coast) — Renewing Post of Down Outer Distant Signal** — On **Thursday, 1st December, 1955**, between 8.0 a.m. and 4.0 p.m., the Down Outer Distant Signal post will be renewed. *(W.N. 47–1955)*

---

## 1975 — Hours of Attendance

### Hours of Attendance — 1975
> **Bundook** — **12.1 a.m. to 7.0 a.m.; 11.0 p.m. to 12 midnight**. *(Source: 1975 Weekly Notices)*

---

## 1978 — Closed as Booking Station — 30 April 1978; Signal Electrician District Boundary

### Closed as Booking Station — W.N. 14–1978
> **Page 173 — Stations and Platforms, etc., Maitland–Queensland Border** — Bundook will be closed as a booking station as from **30th April, 1978** — Insert **(P)**. *(W.N. 14–1978)*

### Signal Electrician District Boundary — W.N. 22–1978
> Amend Dungog to read: **Dungog: Telarah, staff instrument on Mindaribba side, to Bundook, staff instrument on Bulliac side** and Microwave installations Mt Douglas and Berrico Repeaters.
>
> Amend Taree to read: **Taree: Bundook, exclusive of staff instrument on Bulliac side, to Kundabung**, staff instrument on Telegraph Point side and Microwave installations Ghanghat, Taree, Middle Brother Repeaters. *(W.N. 22–1978)*

---

## 1981 — Goods Siding Abolished — 22 February 1981; Frames B and C Removed

### Goods Siding Abolished — W.N. 8–1981
> **Bundook (North Coast) — Removal of Frames B and C** — On **Sunday, 22nd February, 1981**, between 8.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m., the connections to the Goods Siding operated by **Frames B and C and associated equipment** will be removed and the Goods Siding abolished.
>
> Lever Nos. 10 and 11 in the signal-box will become spare.
>
> **Circular No. 125–15, Bundook of 1943** and diagram attached, to be amended accordingly. *(W.N. 8–1981)*

### Standing Room Deleted — W.N. 19–1981
> **Page 73 — Stations, Platforms and Sidings — Accommodation Provided — Bundook:**
>
> Standing Room — Other Sidings: Delete **38**. *(W.N. 19–1981)*

---

## 1982 — Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — 7 June 1982

### Motor-Operated Points and Colour Light Signals — W.N. — 1982
> **Bundook (North Coast) — Conversion to Power Operation of Points and Signals** — On **Monday, 7th June, 1982**, between 7.30 a.m. and 5.00 p.m., the Main line to loop points at each end of Bundook crossing loop will be converted to motor operation and the mechanical Main line and loop signals replaced by **colour light signals**.
>
> **Route control relay interlocking control panel** in signal-box; mechanical interlocking machine placed out of use; track indicator diagram.
>
> **Low speed indication** (small green light) with route indicator, cleared by approaching train — beneath Down Home and Up Home signals.
>
> Electric Train Staff working remains in use on sections **Bulliac–Bundook** and **Bundook–Mount George**; automatic staff exchanging equipment at Bundook remains available.
>
> **Telephone Call Indicators** — flashing blue light and sounding of a hooter. *(W.N. — 1982)*

---

## 1985 — Platform and Station Demolished — 15 October 1985

### Platform and Station Demolished — 15 October 1985
> **Platform and station at Bundook demolished — 15 October 1985.** *(Source: your notes — not found in OCR text of 1985 Weekly Notices)*

---

## Summary of Key Events

| Date | Event |
|------|-------|
| **5 February 1913** | **Opened** — 76.2-metre Down side platform; timber station building; station brand BDH; Frame A on platform; Frames B and C (Goods Siding); Fixed Signals "All Right"; 10 minutes goods shunting |
| **29 July 1942** | **Crossing loop opened** — Bulliac–Mount George cancelled; **Bulliac–Bundook** (Type A) and **Bundook–Mount George** (Type C); opening/closing keys; Passenger/Mixed trains MUST NOT cross — goods in Goods Siding, passenger on Main; selector telephone added (W.N. 30 and 34–1942) |
| **1 August 1942** | **Opened as Booking Station** — (P) deleted; Night Officer designation (W.N. 31–1942) |
| W.N. 12 and 13–1945 | Down Inner Distant Signal provided (published twice) |
| 1946 | Staff exchanger: Down — 27 feet from Sydney end of Platform; Up — Opposite Signal-box |
| W.N. 47–1955 | Down Outer Distant Signal post renewed |
| 1975 | Hours: 12.1 a.m.–7.0 a.m.; 11.0 p.m.–midnight |
| **30 April 1978** | **Closed as Booking Station** — designated (P); signal electrician district boundary: Dungog to Bundook (Bulliac side staff instrument); Taree from Bundook (exclusive of Bulliac side staff instrument) (W.N. 14 and 22–1978) |
| **17 July 1978** | Station building closed |
| **22 February 1981** | **Goods Siding abolished** — Frames B and C removed; Nos. 10 and 11 levers spare; standing room (38) deleted; Circular No. 125–15 of 1943 amended (W.N. 8 and 19–1981) |
| **7 June 1982** | **Motor-operated points and colour light signals** — route control relay interlocking panel; low speed indications; telephone call indicators; ETS Bulliac–Bundook and Bundook–Mount George retained; automatic staff exchangers remain |
| **15 October 1985** | **Platform and station demolished** |
| Current | Short **426-metre loop siding** remains |

---

*Extracted from NSW Government Railways Weekly Notices, 1913–1985.* 
*Note: The 1942 crossing restriction — Passenger/Mixed trains MUST NOT cross at Bundook; only Goods trains could cross — is unique in the collection. The loop was designed solely as a goods crossing point, not a passenger crossing station. Circular No. 125–15 of 1943 was the base diagram referenced from 1943 to 1981 — 38 years.*
EhPortal 1.34 © 2026, WebDev